IGNORED

1983 XVZ1200 Battery

larrydr

I have involved in the electronics  industry since 1980 , but there are times when what is happening does not make any sense . My present 3 year old battery went dead and would not produce any cranking power ...I installed a new GSM battery and found that the monitor system kept on indicating a battery problem ...With a lead acid battery the monitor battery indicator  turns off .....Is monitor system on the 83 built on the lead acid battery  

Your old battery should have had a lead that inserted into one of the fill holes.  It sensed the acid level I'm in the battery.  The newer GSM batteries have to way to connect the lead.  There is an article in the tech library about how to disable it.

8 hours ago, larrydr said:

I have involved in the electronics  industry since 1980 , but there are times when what is happening does not make any sense . My present 3 year old battery went dead and would not produce any cranking power ...I installed a new GSM battery and found that the monitor system kept on indicating a battery problem ...With a lead acid battery the monitor battery indicator  turns off .....Is monitor system on the 83 built on the lead acid battery  

Not sure why this did not post last night but I will re post. The sensor sits in one of the fill hole caps and serves to indicate Electrolyte level. It simply tells you that the water level in that cell is getting low assuming that if it is low the other cells probably are too and that you need to add water to the battery. It does not indicate overall battery condition or voltage. When you install a sealed battery or GSM you have two options (1) ride with the light on or (2) do a cheat by pass. Here is the link to doing the bypass.