IGNORED

Self cancelling flasher unit - is it separate or part of the flasher relay assy??

I have a 1985 XVZ1200 Venture Royal and though my flashers work they do not self cancel.

Is the a separate cancelling unit or does the Flasher Relay Assy (41R-83350-71-00  Replacement  41R-83350-72-00 ) embody the cancelling unit?

If a separate cancelling unit does anyone have a part nbr?

Bono

4 hours ago, Pasta Burner said:

Curious too.  I haven’t put any effort into how it works but my 87 self cancels about 50% of the time.

If the self cancelling signal stops self cancelling the fault would lie either with the self canceling relay unit or the speed sensor/switch. Usually the relay unit. Self cancelling occurs either 10 seconds after you start moving or within approx 500 feet whichever comes first when driving at slow speeds or by distance when driving at high speeds. To get at the relay or speed sensor you need to remove the head light.  Mine has quit as well but for all it takes to cancel manually I can't be bothered getting into it. specially once you decide which is at fault you then have to find the parts to fix it. 

Edited by saddlebum

Yes thanks for the explanation however I am drilling down to part numbers. Can not find a " speed sensor/switch" part or part nbr.? Could it be part of the "cancelling unit"?

@BonoNot sure on the 85 MK1 but I do know on my 83 MK1 they are different devices, the flasher relay is number 16 and the canceling unit device is number 17 in the parts fish link here: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1983/xvz12tk/electrical-1

Both part numbers are listed but only the relay is available.  

Not sure on the speed sensor @saddlebum mentions. Perhaps that is a device that is used in conjunction with the cruise control system as I have never ran across a need to tweek on that device in my 83's and only my first MK1 back in 87 (it was an 84 MK1 Royale) had factory cruise and in just under 300k of CTFW I never had issues with the flasher canceling or cruise control.. 

18 hours ago, cowpuc said:

@BonoNot sure on the 85 MK1 but I do know on my 83 MK1 they are different devices, the flasher relay is number 16 and the canceling unit device is number 17 in the parts fish link here: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1983/xvz12tk/electrical-1

Both part numbers are listed but only the relay is available.  

Not sure on the speed sensor @saddlebum mentions. Perhaps that is a device that is used in conjunction with the cruise control system as I have never ran across a need to tweek on that device in my 83's and only my first MK1 back in 87 (it was an 84 MK1 Royale) had factory cruise and in just under 300k of CTFW I never had issues with the flasher canceling or cruise control.. 

@Bono The speed sensing switch is a leaf switch built into the instrument panel back cover. With the speedometer assembly installed in the cluster this switch sits close to the spinning magnet within the speedometer head where the cable connects to the speedometer. The rotating speed of the magnet is what triggers the switch. You can test it by disconnecting the related connectors and hooking an ohmmeter to the wires ( it should be the white/green wire in one plug and the black wire in the other plug see pics ). With the front wheel off the ground spin the wheel and watch the ohmmeter for a change or disconnect the cable at the wheel and use a variable speed drill Make sure the drill is spinning in the right direction.

Now I cannot be sure if this applies to both MK-1 and 2 or only to MK-2

20210511_094829.jpg

20210511_094903.jpg

20210511_095147.jpg

20210511_095256.jpg

20210511_095319.jpg

20210511_095454.jpg

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1