IGNORED

Barons slip-ons or Bub slip-ons?

I'm having trouble deciding between the Bub slip-ons or the Barons slip-ons. I like the looks of the Barons more, but am afraid they might be too loud. Does anyone know which on is louder (baffles in):confused24: ? I've listened to the sound clips, but couldn't tell. Also, it seems to be quite the task to pull the Bub baffles, with cutting welds & drilling rivets, etc. How easy is it to pull the baffles on the Barons:confused24:? These are the two questions I need info. on. Thanks a bunch.

Guest John Jager

I have a 99 RSV and I just installed Samson Slip-ons.

You can not remove the baffles, however they sound really great and they were less expensive than BUB or Barons. Ordered them from J&P

Cycles.com

I'm having trouble deciding between the Bub slip-ons or the Barons slip-ons. I like the looks of the Barons more, but am afraid they might be too loud. Does anyone know which on is louder (baffles in):confused24: ? I've listened to the sound clips, but couldn't tell. Also, it seems to be quite the task to pull the Bub baffles, with cutting welds & drilling rivets, etc. How easy is it to pull the baffles on the Barons:confused24:? These are the two questions I need info. on. Thanks a bunch.

On the Baron's, there are 2 screws to remove and pull. Takes 5 mins or less. AND...you can wrap them if you deem too loud.

Baron's...even when wrapped though are louder than the RK's even when they are modified.

:080402gudl_prv:

Well...I've heard most of them and would say that the Baron's are louder than the Bubs. The problem with the new Bub's thought is that the ends are chromed aluminum and the chrome seems to start peeling after a few months. I've had the Samson and the Khromewerks on mine at one time or another and really liked the Khromewerks when it came to quality of workmanship, selection of tips, and sound. They are glass packed and WILL get loud when the glass burns out but can be re-packed.

I have an '06 RSV and in the last couple of months put on the Baron's. Love the sound(am an old car guy). They are loud be can still listen to the stereo. Now, bikes behind me, I have notice they seem to fall back. Their comments are the pipes are loud, but really sound good. The pips are as shipped, baffles and no wrap

Guest black knight

Hi everyone, I have a question, What are you wrapping the Baron's nasty boys pipes with to quite them down, I am looking for a nice rumble not an obnoxious sounding machine.

Guest Lowdan

I had installed Barons on my 01. Didn't take long for them to make me hate them, they were just too loud for my tastes. I sold them them went with Bubs and was very satisfied loved the lower rumble of the Bub's. Hope this helps some...

• 5 weeks later...

I had the 1st set available for the 05's installed close to two years ago I guess. A few weeks ago I started getting the major peeling problem on the cones. It happened very fast. I ordered a new set of cones for $89 and installed them last weekend. After drilling out the two rivets, the cones where a bit of a chore to get out. After some hammering, they did some out. The baffles slid out with them. There was very little packing, only at the ends. I realigned the baffle holes to the new cones and reinstalled. I stll love the sound and have had many compliments on them as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I've had the Samson and the Khromewerks on mine at one time or another and really liked the Khromewerks when it came to quality of workmanship, selection of tips, and sound. They are glass packed and WILL get loud when the glass burns out but can be re-packed.

What is the difference in sound level between the Khromewerks and Bubs?

I'm leaning towards the bubs, but the chrome peeling doesn't sound too good.

Cheers,

Leonard

What is the difference in sound level between the Khromewerks and Bubs?

I'm leaning towards the bubs, but the chrome peeling doesn't sound too good.

Cheers,

Leonard

To my tin ear the Khromewerks have a little louder and deeper tone.

I have solved the peeling chrome issue on my Bubs by replacing the tips with HD fishtail tips.

My next project is to re-wrap the baffles. The HD tips allow for about a 3/16" - 1/4" space around the rear baffle plate which has increased the sound level enough that Mama has been complaining. It sounds real nice from the back of the bike but it starts to get on you after a few hours.

Nope. You may experience some popping or backfiring when letting off the throttle coming to a stop though. If this is the case, look around the Tech Section for a cure. I backed off the carb pilot screws about a half a turn and this helped.

Since I tried the Barons, I have settled in on a set of Harley Screamin' Eagles from a Road King. I like these the best.

I have the Baron's on mine, and I love the sound. Makes the Harley owners jealous, they comment all the time about how they make this Yamaha sound like a "real" bike. My wife actually likes them, she says they are actually a relaxing sound for her. They look good too!!

• 5 years later...