IGNORED

Doing Sturgis a lil Different this Year!

Chaharly

Well I've gone up during the rally and stayed in Rapid City. I've stayed in Keystone. I've stayed in Belle Fourche. I've even stayed at the big campground across from the buffalo chip. They had Ted Nugent Playing that night, but at our campground they had a wet T-Shirt contest and a little country band. Now this year its time to tent it in town, just a stones throw from all the action. Trying to get two or three buddies to ride up with me for a Monday through Thursday thing, and I have no interest in camping so far out of town we need a shuttle to make it home... that just makes throwing the leg over the saddle a little too tempting for me. I posted on the Rapid City, Deadwood, Sturgis Exchange site on facebook and actually have gotten good information from a lot of friendly folks from the area. Seems like most of them will let you use the garage to keep your bikes dry, they do BBQs and beer donations and all in all it looks to be a safe, fun time! Anyone else camp there this way? I see signs in people's yards all the time, but I'd like to have an idea of where I'm going before I get there.

Anyways just thought it was kind of an interesting way to find a place to stay, this Facebook thing.

Goodnight Folks!

Wassup Cha!! Sturgis,, 10 4 back door on a good old fashioned Sturgis run = now we are talking!!! Been reading some of your other questions on other threads too,,, think I will do a bundled response here and see how it all works out..

Sturgis,,,, the rally has changed HUGELY over the years.. Now adays = LOTS of law enforcement in the town of Sturgis during the rally and TONS of law changes including speed limits (that early morning drag race from the Buffalo Chip to the City Park on Lazzle street is now a HUGE no no = 35 mph limit) and public drinking is closely monitored. I think the towns people and the State got kind of tired of the loss of lives attributed to the "party" part of the party and demanded things get tightened up.. Nowadays there are at least 2 LEO's at every intersection on main street 24 hours during the rally and lots of "walkers" watching closely - just an FYI..

That said, the Rally also has not been the same for a lot of years now - sort of like the sales of the bikes,, its really really slowed down.. Still LOTS of fun but more laid back and those 6 hour waits to get into town are far removed.. The last few years we have seen LOTS of vacant yards with "CAMP HERE" posted on them - truthfully I wouldnt worry to much about that if all your looking for is a place to drop your tent within walking distance of main street.. Motel? No idea cause I dont motel it when bike touring but I wouldnt count on it - just not a lot of motels in the immediate area.. Personally I still camp on the same spot of open prairie land that I have since the 70's = a couple miles east of The Chip. Always remember that S.D. is still an open camp state = freedom at its best but long forgotten by many!! Also, for your cross country tenting needs I am including a short video of one of the things we have been doing for a good while = works great and is not a spooky as Cemetery camping!! C Vid!!

To set up for your tent needs here is what I suggest = this is considering your touring alone on your Venture (1 up).. Go to Menards or Walmart and buy a cheap 7x5 2 person pup tent - the kind with the "fish poles" that slide thru hoops on the tent so you dont have to use stakes = self supporting.. Pick up a 9x12 or larger cheap tarp, sleeping bag and one of those 1 inch egg shell mattress covers too to sleep on.. Put the tarp down, open the tent and put it on top of the tarp - put poles in so tent is now sitting on tarp. Put pad in tend and sleeping bag on pad. Put extra change of clothes in tent as well as teddy bear for pillow. Keep bag and pad to one side of tent floor, close tent and zip up door, remove poles, fold tent in half long ways including tarp. Fold so tarp is folded square and now fold xtra tarp edge inside of tent before you start to roll up. Fold bottom of tarp up onto edge of tent opposite of doorway so air is let out of tent as you roll up bedroll. Place tent poles onto tarp/tent to roll toward tent door end. Place 2 bungee cords under far end of bedroll where you will end up after completing roll. Roll bedroll as tight as possible forcing air out, reach behind you and grab end of bungee cord now appearing as you roll up bed roll - grab exposed end out side of bed roll and attach to end that appeared as you rolled past it = snap together and bedroll is now ready to sit on Passenger seat for you to lean against PLUS everything in your bedroll is totally weather proofed!! When you get tired after 18/20 hours of CTFW = find the local campground where the little red light is flashing (watch for those Cell Towers as shown in Vid) - pull in, flop the bed roll and with a little practice - you can be in the sack sleeping in less then 5 minutes easily!!

When you unroll the bedroll, stretch out the tarp under the tent so you dont get stickies in your socks or thorns in your fingers.. After getting tent up, fold tarp under tent bottom edges so if it rains the tarp dont catch water and flood the floor of the tent. Leave the front edge out until your inside and then just wad up the front edge under tent till morning. In the morning you pull the tarp edge out and BINGO = instant handy dandy, no stickers in stocking feet FLOOR MAT!! Get it??

Speaking about doing Sturgis and Glacier = why not plan on doing both in the same trip?? The week after Sturgis would be a PERFECT time to grab Glacier PLUS you would get the fun of the endless chit chat with bikers along the way!!!

Fingers tired - hope this helps - sure sounds like an AWESOME '18 ya got in the plans brother!!!

Puc

Puc-meister is right. It has morphed, not just the rally but the whole culture has really lost something. I live ~30 minutes away from Sturgis and during the rally I park the bikes and hide in my quiet little valley in the hills west of Rapid. That or I head out of the area where I can get a break from it. Its noteworthy to mention we have huge amounts of tourism along with the rally. Passing RVs and HDs on the rare occasions its safe, rolling roadblocks taken to a brand new low. Every year the myriad of injury and fatality accidents, I just tapped the **** out. The reward is just not worth the risk and incredible frustration IMHO. Im far less tolerant of congestion and crowds than the average Joe, so take me with a grain of Na here. You may have a good time, it really depends on what your expectations and wishes are.

There is a happy flipside. The hills are amazing, scenic, outstanding motorcycling roads and some cool little towns. Im probably spoiled by having the hills to myself for much of the year, living here as a motorcyclist is bliss. If your looking for a more pure riding experience on fantastic, relatively empty roads then timing outside tourist season is a must to get the absolute most out of your visit.

One other thing I would like to leave you with is to be vigilant of the wildlife. Deer (hooved rats) are fast and stupid. The numbers are higher now than I have ever seen. After dusk its worse. Anyone doing the speed limit in the hills after dark is asking for trouble. Let the show offs pass you, no biggie. Anywhere near Custer you may also have bison, they love to chill on the road, sometimes around blind corners. This is a bad place to ride beyond your line of sight. If you hit one of those guys your really ****ed! They are super fast, have 0 sense of humor and are more than alright with goring folks that get to close, or smack em with a bike, or ride close by. I often ride on shoulder or wrong side of the road to use cars as shields when herds are on the blacktop and things move slow, local cagers understand this move. As long as you ride smart and keep your eyes open you should be safe and have a great time but its really advantageous to know whats out there. Every year folks get hurt not understanding these things about wildlife here. They are beautiful but must be respected.

Wassup Cha!! Sturgis,, 10 4 back door on a good old fashioned Sturgis run = now we are talking!!! Been reading some of your other questions on other threads too,,, think I will do a bundled response here and see how it all works out..

Sturgis,,,, the rally has changed HUGELY over the years.. Now adays = LOTS of law enforcement in the town of Sturgis during the rally and TONS of law changes including speed limits (that early morning drag race from the Buffalo Chip to the City Park on Lazzle street is now a HUGE no no = 35 mph limit) and public drinking is closely monitored. I think the towns people and the State got kind of tired of the loss of lives attributed to the "party" part of the party and demanded things get tightened up.. Nowadays there are at least 2 LEO's at every intersection on main street 24 hours during the rally and lots of "walkers" watching closely - just an FYI..

That said, the Rally also has not been the same for a lot of years now - sort of like the sales of the bikes,, its really really slowed down.. Still LOTS of fun but more laid back and those 6 hour waits to get into town are far removed.. The last few years we have seen LOTS of vacant yards with "CAMP HERE" posted on them - truthfully I wouldnt worry to much about that if all your looking for is a place to drop your tent within walking distance of main street.. Motel? No idea cause I dont motel it when bike touring but I wouldnt count on it - just not a lot of motels in the immediate area.. Personally I still camp on the same spot of open prairie land that I have since the 70's = a couple miles east of The Chip. Always remember that S.D. is still an open camp state = freedom at its best but long forgotten by many!! Also, for your cross country tenting needs I am including a short video of one of the things we have been doing for a good while = works great and is not a spooky as Cemetery camping!! C Vid!!

To set up for your tent needs here is what I suggest = this is considering your touring alone on your Venture (1 up).. Go to Menards or Walmart and buy a cheap 7x5 2 person pup tent - the kind with the "fish poles" that slide thru hoops on the tent so you dont have to use stakes = self supporting.. Pick up a 9x12 or larger cheap tarp, sleeping bag and one of those 1 inch egg shell mattress covers too to sleep on.. Put the tarp down, open the tent and put it on top of the tarp - put poles in so tent is now sitting on tarp. Put pad in tend and sleeping bag on pad. Put extra change of clothes in tent as well as teddy bear for pillow. Keep bag and pad to one side of tent floor, close tent and zip up door, remove poles, fold tent in half long ways including tarp. Fold so tarp is folded square and now fold xtra tarp edge inside of tent before you start to roll up. Fold bottom of tarp up onto edge of tent opposite of doorway so air is let out of tent as you roll up bedroll. Place tent poles onto tarp/tent to roll toward tent door end. Place 2 bungee cords under far end of bedroll where you will end up after completing roll. Roll bedroll as tight as possible forcing air out, reach behind you and grab end of bungee cord now appearing as you roll up bed roll - grab exposed end out side of bed roll and attach to end that appeared as you rolled past it = snap together and bedroll is now ready to sit on Passenger seat for you to lean against PLUS everything in your bedroll is totally weather proofed!! When you get tired after 18/20 hours of CTFW = find the local campground where the little red light is flashing (watch for those Cell Towers as shown in Vid) - pull in, flop the bed roll and with a little practice - you can be in the sack sleeping in less then 5 minutes easily!!

When you unroll the bedroll, stretch out the tarp under the tent so you dont get stickies in your socks or thorns in your fingers.. After getting tent up, fold tarp under tent bottom edges so if it rains the tarp dont catch water and flood the floor of the tent. Leave the front edge out until your inside and then just wad up the front edge under tent till morning. In the morning you pull the tarp edge out and BINGO = instant handy dandy, no stickers in stocking feet FLOOR MAT!! Get it??

Speaking about doing Sturgis and Glacier = why not plan on doing both in the same trip?? The week after Sturgis would be a PERFECT time to grab Glacier PLUS you would get the fun of the endless chit chat with bikers along the way!!!

Fingers tired - hope this helps - sure sounds like an AWESOME '18 ya got in the plans brother!!!

Puc

Heyy there Cowpuc! You'll have to forgive me for not getting back to ya any sooner. I have a hell of a time jumping on my computer and wanting to type. Ya know how it goes, put it off til ya forget about it, REmember it, then put it off again!!! Yessir this will be year number three in a row for me. I've been there off and on for the last 20 years or so (think my first time was at 6 years old) and since I've been there with my Mom and Dad or was too young to have any fun, its time to change that my friend! As far as the law enforcement goes, it is definitely a "safe" place to be, the cops even give me dirty looks when I ride standing up through The Main Drag, but I cant help myself! I understand why they've stepped law enforcement up though. Especially since many of the bikers only ride once or twice a year, only up to Sturgis.... add alcohol into the mix and I could see I-90 being dotted with crashed bikes from Sturgis to Spearfish. It certainly dampens the "freedom" aspect that we all go to our bikes for, I'll give ya that.

That said, the Rally also has not been the same for a lot of years now - sort of like the sales of the bikes,, its really really slowed down.. Still LOTS of fun but more laid back and those 6 hour waits to get into town are far removed.. The last few years we have seen LOTS of vacant yards with "CAMP HERE" posted on them - truthfully I wouldnt worry to much about that if all your looking for is a place to drop your tent within walking distance of main street.. Motel? No idea cause I dont motel it when bike touring but I wouldnt count on it - just not a lot of motels in the immediate area.. Personally I still camp on the same spot of open prairie land that I have since the 70's = a couple miles east of The Chip.

Even in the years I've gone I've noticed a drop in attendance. Honestly I'm with you on the no motel and I'd prefer not to camp in town as well, but there are some very beautiful bars downtown with live music.... I'm talking baby-grand pianos on the stage music. And since I'll be 25 this year and not getting any younger I'd really like to ride up with some buddies and just get stumbling drunk and have a good time. Leave the bikes parked and walk home. I live in Wayne, NE which is a little over 450 miles from Rapid City, so the ride up the hills is almost perfect for me. I go up there at least twice every year If you ever get the chance check out the scenery around Valentine, NE. If you head north on on 83 and continue till you hit White River, head west on 44 into Interior South Dakota (

You know where I'm talking about, the gate to the Badlands!!!)

it makes for a beautiful ride through some of my favorite country.

Folding the tent/tarp/teddybear combo is going to take a little bit of practice, but I've already been using techniques Ive read from you. You were the only person who hasn't said I'm crazy for thinking the Ventures got some off road capabilities and honestly Puc, You're like an old West Throw Back, and I mean that in the best way! Honest! When I went out to California I had a tent on the trunk rack, a little lawn chair, a sleeping bag with a matt rolled in it double wrapped with trash bags facing opposite ways to keep any water out and I kept the rest of my gear including tools and stuff in the trunk and side bags. I do believe I brought a big comforter for extra warmth just in case... double wrapped in trash bags (see pic below) I felt I was packed pretty well for the trip, but putting the tent up and down was definitely a hassle with everything.

I never thought to sleep at cell towers, but that's pretty brilliant! Especially if it gets dark and you're getting sleepy! Like you said, BOOM instant campground! Pacemaker or no Pacemaker I think that's a good idea! I bet you can get on some pretty interesting mountain roads CTCT (chasing the cell tower!:happy34:) I'm definitely gonna do that It'd be great on my Glacier Trip, but I don't think I'm going to get to do that one this year. I wont have any holiday from July 1 through Thanksgiving this year, and I sort of needed to work off of a holiday. I think I'm going to Southwest, maybe see the Four Corners, Grand Canyon and all that, I'll take the first and second week of July. Maybe the last week of June and the first week of July!

I'll have to attempt your tent wrap and throw it on youtube so you can judge it based on a scale of Venture Greatness to full on bull puccy!

Good to hear from ya Puc! Hope you're doing well. I feel like you had something medically related while I was away from the site. Best of luck and a great 2018 of riding to you and the missus!!!!:amen:

32.jpg The ol Girl ready to Venture West!

Puc-meister is right. It has morphed, not just the rally but the whole culture has really lost something. I live ~30 minutes away from Sturgis and during the rally I park the bikes and hide in my quiet little valley in the hills west of Rapid. That or I head out of the area where I can get a break from it. Its noteworthy to mention we have huge amounts of tourism along with the rally. Passing RVs and HDs on the rare occasions its safe, rolling roadblocks taken to a brand new low. Every year the myriad of injury and fatality accidents, I just tapped the **** out. The reward is just not worth the risk and incredible frustration IMHO. Im far less tolerant of congestion and crowds than the average Joe, so take me with a grain of Na here. You may have a good time, it really depends on what your expectations and wishes are.

There is a happy flipside. The hills are amazing, scenic, outstanding motorcycling roads and some cool little towns. Im probably spoiled by having the hills to myself for much of the year, living here as a motorcyclist is bliss. If your looking for a more pure riding experience on fantastic, relatively empty roads then timing outside tourist season is a must to get the absolute most out of your visit.

One other thing I would like to leave you with is to be vigilant of the wildlife. Deer (hooved rats) are fast and stupid. The numbers are higher now than I have ever seen. After dusk its worse. Anyone doing the speed limit in the hills after dark is asking for trouble. Let the show offs pass you, no biggie. Anywhere near Custer you may also have bison, they love to chill on the road, sometimes around blind corners. This is a bad place to ride beyond your line of sight. If you hit one of those guys your really ****ed! They are super fast, have 0 sense of humor and are more than alright with goring folks that get to close, or smack em with a bike, or ride close by. I often ride on shoulder or wrong side of the road to use cars as shields when herds are on the blacktop and things move slow, local cagers understand this move. As long as you ride smart and keep your eyes open you should be safe and have a great time but its really advantageous to know whats out there. Every year folks get hurt not understanding these things about wildlife here. They are beautiful but must be respected.

Casey, I'm with you 100% brotha. Its hardly even fun to ride the hills during Sturgis. One year we got caught behind a guy with a trike going up needles highway, and believe me... I understand ya. Like I told puc, I get down there at least twice a year on the bikes. I absolutely love it.. I feel like the hills are a second home to me... I wouldn't mind spending my 18 days just camping in the hills smelling the air honestly. I stay off the roads at night as well. Very scary out there with how small and skittish the deer are, let alone a large black buffalo.

I would live in the hills if I could find a job Casey, I'd absolutely love it. Maybe not the winters as much, but I'd love it

I too am planning another Sturgis run with my wife this year. We have stayed at Glencoe camp, pitching a tent ,before and will probably do it again. The camps can be a lot of fun people watching. We always park the bike at dark and let the crazies do their thing. The rides are great if you leave camp early enough (8 or 9 am) all the hard partiers are still asleep til noon or later. That gives us time to have already been to and be coming back from our destination before it gets congested(with the exception of the 75th , it was crowded all the time everywhere). Maybe, as we have done before , we all can meet up for a visit while we are there.

Bill

Casey, I'm with you 100% brotha. Its hardly even fun to ride the hills during Sturgis. One year we got caught behind a guy with a trike going up needles highway, and believe me... I understand ya. Like I told puc, I get down there at least twice a year on the bikes. I absolutely love it.. I feel like the hills are a second home to me... I wouldn't mind spending my 18 days just camping in the hills smelling the air honestly. I stay off the roads at night as well. Very scary out there with how small and skittish the deer are, let alone a large black buffalo.

I would live in the hills if I could find a job Casey, I'd absolutely love it. Maybe not the winters as much, but I'd love it

It's a great place to be. I'm self-employed here, doing some 1099 work in healthcare. If I moved anywhere else I could make considerably more money. Unfortunately I'm planning a move in the area of N. CO or S. WY but I dont think we'll ever give up our little patch in the hills. I'll never be more than a short days ride from the BH.

I picked up a couple friends at the airport last year and all I heard all the way back to town is "how is the sky so blue?! Look at that, is this what air is supposed to taste like? OH, stop stop stop, I wanna take a pic!" I was asked how I can stand to go back to the west coast from here. The answer is I cant, and I dont. Pretty simple!

Oh yea, NEVER do Needles during the rally, a gathering of riders that cant corner on a good day on a road composed of hairpins, switchbacks and poor pavement quality. Sorry you had to endure that! Next time your here HMU, you can camp out here and grab a shower if need be. It's pretty much an open offer for members here.

I too am planning another Sturgis run with my wife this year. We have stayed at Glencoe camp, pitching a tent ,before and will probably do it again. The camps can be a lot of fun people watching. We always park the bike at dark and let the crazies do their thing. The rides are great if you leave camp early enough (8 or 9 am) all the hard partiers are still asleep til noon or later. That gives us time to have already been to and be coming back from our destination before it gets congested(with the exception of the 75th , it was crowded all the time everywhere). Maybe, as we have done before , we all can meet up for a visit while we are there.

Bill

Nothing could be finer I tell ya!!!!!

Heyy there Cowpuc! You'll have to forgive me for not getting back to ya any sooner. I have a hell of a time jumping on my computer and wanting to type. Ya know how it goes, put it off til ya forget about it, REmember it, then put it off again!!! Yessir this will be year number three in a row for me. I've been there off and on for the last 20 years or so (think my first time was at 6 years old) and since I've been there with my Mom and Dad or was too young to have any fun, its time to change that my friend! As far as the law enforcement goes, it is definitely a "safe" place to be, the cops even give me dirty looks when I ride standing up through The Main Drag, but I cant help myself! I understand why they've stepped law enforcement up though. Especially since many of the bikers only ride once or twice a year, only up to Sturgis.... add alcohol into the mix and I could see I-90 being dotted with crashed bikes from Sturgis to Spearfish. It certainly dampens the "freedom" aspect that we all go to our bikes for, I'll give ya that.

That said, the Rally also has not been the same for a lot of years now - sort of like the sales of the bikes,, its really really slowed down.. Still LOTS of fun but more laid back and those 6 hour waits to get into town are far removed.. The last few years we have seen LOTS of vacant yards with "CAMP HERE" posted on them - truthfully I wouldnt worry to much about that if all your looking for is a place to drop your tent within walking distance of main street.. Motel? No idea cause I dont motel it when bike touring but I wouldnt count on it - just not a lot of motels in the immediate area.. Personally I still camp on the same spot of open prairie land that I have since the 70's = a couple miles east of The Chip.

Even in the years I've gone I've noticed a drop in attendance. Honestly I'm with you on the no motel and I'd prefer not to camp in town as well, but there are some very beautiful bars downtown with live music.... I'm talking baby-grand pianos on the stage music. And since I'll be 25 this year and not getting any younger I'd really like to ride up with some buddies and just get stumbling drunk and have a good time. Leave the bikes parked and walk home. I live in Wayne, NE which is a little over 450 miles from Rapid City, so the ride up the hills is almost perfect for me. I go up there at least twice every year If you ever get the chance check out the scenery around Valentine, NE. If you head north on on 83 and continue till you hit White River, head west on 44 into Interior South Dakota (

You know where I'm talking about, the gate to the Badlands!!!)

it makes for a beautiful ride through some of my favorite country.

Folding the tent/tarp/teddybear combo is going to take a little bit of practice, but I've already been using techniques Ive read from you. You were the only person who hasn't said I'm crazy for thinking the Ventures got some off road capabilities and honestly Puc, You're like an old West Throw Back, and I mean that in the best way! Honest! When I went out to California I had a tent on the trunk rack, a little lawn chair, a sleeping bag with a matt rolled in it double wrapped with trash bags facing opposite ways to keep any water out and I kept the rest of my gear including tools and stuff in the trunk and side bags. I do believe I brought a big comforter for extra warmth just in case... double wrapped in trash bags (see pic below) I felt I was packed pretty well for the trip, but putting the tent up and down was definitely a hassle with everything.

I never thought to sleep at cell towers, but that's pretty brilliant! Especially if it gets dark and you're getting sleepy! Like you said, BOOM instant campground! Pacemaker or no Pacemaker I think that's a good idea! I bet you can get on some pretty interesting mountain roads CTCT (chasing the cell tower!:happy34:) I'm definitely gonna do that It'd be great on my Glacier Trip, but I don't think I'm going to get to do that one this year. I wont have any holiday from July 1 through Thanksgiving this year, and I sort of needed to work off of a holiday. I think I'm going to Southwest, maybe see the Four Corners, Grand Canyon and all that, I'll take the first and second week of July. Maybe the last week of June and the first week of July!

I'll have to attempt your tent wrap and throw it on youtube so you can judge it based on a scale of Venture Greatness to full on bull puccy!

Good to hear from ya Puc! Hope you're doing well. I feel like you had something medically related while I was away from the site. Best of luck and a great 2018 of riding to you and the missus!!!!:amen:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111217 The ol Girl ready to Venture West!

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW Cha = ya got er looking absolutely OUTSTANDING there brother = ready to LET ER BUCK!!:thumbsup:

Awe,,, right back at cha Cha on the GREATEST of the GREATEST up coming ride season = SIEZE THE DAY NOT THE MOTOR!!! Picked up a little Cancer bug along the trail somewhere and in the process of finding it and puttin a whoopin on that bug they ended up finding a few other flaws in there - that's where my new "tuner" came into play that you mentioned hearing me talk about in the Cell Phone vid.. Just had my 3rd surgery for 2017 in the middle of last month in handling the Cancer stuff - not to whine but I honestly think that getting knocked out like that is harder on me physically than anything - turns out I'm a whimp!! Fist sized tumor in my abdomen to start with - removed prostate, part of bladder with a couple inches of ureator and a couple glands.. Doing better now, just sort of got wind knocked out me BUT = its winter = PERFECT time to have that happen I tell ya!!!

Ohhh heck yea,,, I know exactly what your talking about when you speak of Interior,,, THE back door to the Bad Lands INDEED - I have never done 83 to 44 but make a general practice of riding the bottom of S.D. to Wounded Knee and then up = will DEFINITELY check out your trail!! If you come into the park from Interior, hook a left thru the park and go about half way towards the west gate (that leads into Wall) you will come to a two track that heads north across the highland prairie.. Take that trail until it drops down (watch for erosion) and follow it till it comes to the north fence of the Badlands = have camped there freely for many many years = PERFECT spot for complete peace and quiet even during the rally if you find the need and WOWZY = Coyotes all night long singin their song in those endless Badland warm nighttime breezes!! Then back track in the A.M. to the east gate, hook a left on "90" to exit 116, left off ramp on gravel road for mile or so to the Missle Silo = COOL!!

Got me started,, another REALLY awesome cross country off road Venture tour out there starts at the bottom of the Spearfish Canyon run... Way down in the Canyon you will come to a fairly sharp left bend in the road (if your headed south) where a great big beautiful high end fancy lodge is located (go inside = BEAUTIFUL!!).. As the bend sweeps to the left - if you go straight on the gravel road that serves as an entrance to the parking lot for the lodge - you will see a small sign that says something like "Waterfalls - this way" and there a two track heads off to the west... If you follow that two track beyond the falls (nice ride - cool falls!!) you will eventually cross the Wyoming state line (note the really cool little tin, rusty old sign tacked on a tree that says that wayyyy back in there).. There is some quad trailing you have to do out there,,, some open range cattle along the trail before ya skirt the mountains some.. Last time I went thru I pulled off in the foot hills on a game trail - dropped the tent and spent the night listening to the Elk blowin their bugles and had foot prints being made around my tent all night long (thinkin either cougar or Coyote - definitely not Bear - I always leave Tweeks to fend for herself with any food I may be carrying with her to keep bears away and camp a fair distance from her).. Talk about FUN!!! Up in the morning,, keep heading west on the trails and eventually you will come out not to far from Devils Tower,,, cant remember the name of that little town with the gas station on 90 where I came out,, Sundown or something like that,,,, but they HAVE gas and its only about 20 more minutes or so from there to that big funny shaped mound where Aliens still land like they did in that movie = Close Encounters!!

Speaking of those Sturgis Police not really appreciating us standing up on the pegs to work our way thru the crowds,,, last year DragonSlayer sent me his Superman outfit with a dare to ride thru Sturgis attached... Like you,, I have received my fair share of warnings about "SIT DOWN,,, BOTH FEET DOWN AT ALL STOP SIGNS AFTER COMPLETING STOP AT INTERSECTIONS" while riding the crowds so after promising Bob I would stand on the pegs and give the crowd a show I thought it best to ask permission this time - got the old "oh heck no" response.. After swapping clothes at the Subway (phone booths are another thing of the past :superman::confused24:,,, always makin do :happy65:) and on our way back to mainstreet I bent down from my stand on the pegs with that gorgeous red cape flappin in the jet wash and told Tippy I just HAD to risk it!! Later,, after the fly by,,,, Tip told me that she seen that same officer that told us "oh heck no" snapping pictures of us :guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:

Maybe someday I will grow up to which I reply = "oh heck no" :amen:

Edited by cowpuc

• 1 year later...
WOWZY WOW WOW WOW Cha = ya got er looking absolutely OUTSTANDING there brother = ready to LET ER BUCK!!:thumbsup:

Awe,,, right back at cha Cha on the GREATEST of the GREATEST up coming ride season = SIEZE THE DAY NOT THE MOTOR!!! Picked up a little Cancer bug along the trail somewhere and in the process of finding it and puttin a whoopin on that bug they ended up finding a few other flaws in there - that's where my new "tuner" came into play that you mentioned hearing me talk about in the Cell Phone vid.. Just had my 3rd surgery for 2017 in the middle of last month in handling the Cancer stuff - not to whine but I honestly think that getting knocked out like that is harder on me physically than anything - turns out I'm a whimp!! Fist sized tumor in my abdomen to start with - removed prostate, part of bladder with a couple inches of ureator and a couple glands.. Doing better now, just sort of got wind knocked out me BUT = its winter = PERFECT time to have that happen I tell ya!!!

Ohhh heck yea,,, I know exactly what your talking about when you speak of Interior,,, THE back door to the Bad Lands INDEED - I have never done 83 to 44 but make a general practice of riding the bottom of S.D. to Wounded Knee and then up = will DEFINITELY check out your trail!! If you come into the park from Interior, hook a left thru the park and go about half way towards the west gate (that leads into Wall) you will come to a two track that heads north across the highland prairie.. Take that trail until it drops down (watch for erosion) and follow it till it comes to the north fence of the Badlands = have camped there freely for many many years = PERFECT spot for complete peace and quiet even during the rally if you find the need and WOWZY = Coyotes all night long singin their song in those endless Badland warm nighttime breezes!! Then back track in the A.M. to the east gate, hook a left on "90" to exit 116, left off ramp on gravel road for mile or so to the Missle Silo = COOL!!

Got me started,, another REALLY awesome cross country off road Venture tour out there starts at the bottom of the Spearfish Canyon run... Way down in the Canyon you will come to a fairly sharp left bend in the road (if your headed south) where a great big beautiful high end fancy lodge is located (go inside = BEAUTIFUL!!).. As the bend sweeps to the left - if you go straight on the gravel road that serves as an entrance to the parking lot for the lodge - you will see a small sign that says something like "Waterfalls - this way" and there a two track heads off to the west... If you follow that two track beyond the falls (nice ride - cool falls!!) you will eventually cross the Wyoming state line (note the really cool little tin, rusty old sign tacked on a tree that says that wayyyy back in there).. There is some quad trailing you have to do out there,,, some open range cattle along the trail before ya skirt the mountains some.. Last time I went thru I pulled off in the foot hills on a game trail - dropped the tent and spent the night listening to the Elk blowin their bugles and had foot prints being made around my tent all night long (thinkin either cougar or Coyote - definitely not Bear - I always leave Tweeks to fend for herself with any food I may be carrying with her to keep bears away and camp a fair distance from her).. Talk about FUN!!! Up in the morning,, keep heading west on the trails and eventually you will come out not to far from Devils Tower,,, cant remember the name of that little town with the gas station on 90 where I came out,, Sundown or something like that,,,, but they HAVE gas and its only about 20 more minutes or so from there to that big funny shaped mound where Aliens still land like they did in that movie = Close Encounters!!

Speaking of those Sturgis Police not really appreciating us standing up on the pegs to work our way thru the crowds,,, last year DragonSlayer sent me his Superman outfit with a dare to ride thru Sturgis attached... Like you,, I have received my fair share of warnings about "SIT DOWN,,, BOTH FEET DOWN AT ALL STOP SIGNS AFTER COMPLETING STOP AT INTERSECTIONS" while riding the crowds so after promising Bob I would stand on the pegs and give the crowd a show I thought it best to ask permission this time - got the old "oh heck no" response.. After swapping clothes at the Subway (phone booths are another thing of the past :superman::confused24:,,, always makin do :happy65:) and on our way back to mainstreet I bent down from my stand on the pegs with that gorgeous red cape flappin in the jet wash and told Tippy I just HAD to risk it!! Later,, after the fly by,,,, Tip told me that she seen that same officer that told us "oh heck no" snapping pictures of us :guitarist 2::guitarist 2::guitarist 2:

Maybe someday I will grow up to which I reply = "oh heck no" :amen:

I don't know why I never got back to you on this but I know that exact spot in the badlands your talking about! And youre talking about Sundance, I believe. That little town on the interstate. I'm going to have to try that route. Me and dad are taking my nephews (passed brother's sons) out on a camping trip to the hills in about 2 weeks and I know dad wont do the gravel, but maybe I'll take one of the boys. I think they'd really like going off the beaten path!

Superman never asked no police for permission. He should be thankful you were so kind! :whistling: