IGNORED

Mixture Screws - Replacements?

Howdy All,

I decided to take the carbs off (again)... pull out each jets, clean everything, and discovered 1 fuel mixture screw that won't come out (it appears this is another thing (s) the PO screwed up). I also did not see any o-rings on any of them (required?).

Is there a source for these little buggers?

I will stop by the Yamaha shop.. my local shop will have to order & no doubt they will be 4 times the price you paid (at least).. I have been looking on the net but have yet to find

the parts.

Partzilla does not show the parts... (unless I'm blind)...

Next question.. have you ever have one stuck? other 3 came out... 4th loosens.. but I can't shake it out..

I had one get stuck on my other bike. I think I broke an easy out off in it too. I sent mine to dannymax over on the vmax forum and he got me a replacement carb. He said he has good luck getting the stuck air mixture screws out though. He won't have a replacement carb for an 83 Venture but it might be worth a try having him try to remove the screw for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also did not see any o-rings on any of them (required?).

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-12R-14105-00-00.html

The fuel passage caps? How often/condition do they need to be replaced?

I am not sure what you mean by "fuel passage caps".

Perhaps you are referring to this "cap", number 37 on the microfiche?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1991/XVZ13DBC/CARBURETOR%20NON%20CALIFORNIA%20MODEL/parts.html

Howdy All,

...I also did not see any o-rings on any of them (required?).

Those little orings on the pilot screws are a tad difficult to get out. Some people use a small crotchet hook to get a hold of them.

Thank You for the reply..

Mine appear to be "molded" into the end.. I'll stop today & pick up a really skinny crochet hook.. Still trying to figure out how to get pilot screw out, 3 came out with no issue...

Heck, by the time I get done with these carbs, the snow will be flying....

Absolutely.

If the old caps (we call them jet block plugs, because that is what they do, plug the jet block) are loose in the jet block then fuel will be able to bypass the main jet and pilot jet.

Ahh... just another reason why getting smooth acceleration, carb sync might be an issue.. sometimes surging, along with occasional carb overflow and other strange issues.

(on another note) The picture of the 12R-14105-00-00 .PILOT SCREW SET looks exactly like the ones in the bike, me thinks they are the same even though no site specifically list the 83-85 as being

compatible..

to get the air screw out if you haven't stripped the end, place the carb on its side and fill the hole with some good penetrating oil for a day or two. after its had some good soak time get a hair drier or preferable a heat gun and heat up the carb body around air screw. it should come out fairly easy then.

Partzilla does not show the parts... (unless I'm blind)...

Yes, you are correct. I apologize for the incorrect info. partzilla does not list the pilot screw set for the 83, 84, or 85 carbs but does for the MkIIs. I bought some for my 89 a while back.

to get the air screw out if you haven't stripped the end, place the carb on its side and fill the hole with some good penetrating oil for a day or two. after its had some good soak time get a hair drier or preferable a heat gun and heat up the carb body around air screw. it should come out fairly easy then.

PB Blaster works really well for this kind of thing.

make sure you shine a light in and make sure the other two arent just hard as a rock and hiding at the bottom or got broken and pushed into the jet at the bottom i have seen both happen. both will screw up your mixture when you put them back in.

Thanks..

I did shine my 1,000 lumen light in & didn't see any pieces of o-ring.. I figure this was just another reason why I was having strange carburation type performance issues.. I plan to hit with compressed air & carb cleaner again.. now waiting on new parts before I put back together.