IGNORED

2007 Venture Ignition Key Cylinder (thing the key goes into) wearing out. Need Parts.

2007 Venture Ignition Key Cylinder (the thing the key goes into) wearing out. Need parts.

A bit of background. Hopefully this will make sense and won’t be to longwinded.

My Ignition key has been getting hard to turn from the off position. It finally wouldn’t turn at all so I took the whole thing apart and inspected it. It involved drilling out all those break off bolts Yamaha puts on and replacing them with allen head bolts. Once inside the thing it was pretty easy to inspect everything.

• The electrical part of the switch is in good shape (many thanks to the members on this website suggesting I put my accessories on a relay).

• Locking assembly good shape as well.

• Problem is the “key ignition cylinder” is worn not letting key move the wafers (tumblers) so the key can turn inside the cylinder casing. If you push the key to one side it will realign the wafers and the key will then turn. Knowing what way to push the key will let me keep riding.

I took the key/cylinder/wafer assembly to a locksmith to see what he could do. He cut a new key to the factory code (glad I kept that) in case it was the key that was worn. Didn’t make any difference. Locksmith agreed cylinder was worn and causing problem. It became much more obvious to me once he explained it. He can get parts for automotive ignition key cylinders but has no listings for bikes. He said it’s easy for me to transfer the wafers from my existing cylinder to a new or salvage cylinder if I could find one. Seemed like a good way to go as a new ignition switch from Yamaha costs dollars and the only problem with mine is a worn part that if I can find a supplier will likely cost very little. I suspect more folks have had the same problem and have replaced the whole switch and possibly rekeyed everything. If I find parts and it works out I will try to make a post showing the process on what to do when the cylinder wears out.

I attached a couple of pics. One with the key in the ignition cylinder and one with it removed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Does anyone know a supplier for the ignition cylinders or have a salvage ignition switch where the key assembly works O/K that they are willing to part with?

Any advice or experiences is always appreciated. JR

You can make that one work.

Stick the key in (new one is probably your best bet). Take a fine file and file down the wafers where they stick out from the cylinder.

Theoretically I suppose it makes the lock easier to pick, but I don't think you should have much concern there.

• 2 weeks later...