IGNORED

v-max pulling trailer

rbig1

has anyone done this. Was thinking maybe going to a lighter bike. Just pulling a trailer behind me. Is there a windshield for this bike and a hitch. Been seeing them for around 4 to 5 thousand for a 2005 model. Looks like there 300lb lighter. So by the time I sit on it will weigh about the same as a venture. What do you all think, am I crazy. Will this bike last as long. Don't look like you could put soft bags on it. Pros and cons please

I met an owner of an 85 v-max at the toronto motorcycle super show who had his bike on display. We got to talking and he claims to be the original owner of his bike from new and was telling me he pulls a trailer with it and takes it cross country with no ill effects when properly balanced/loaded. The topic came up when I mentioned I was putting a venture together for a ride to the coast and back. He told me he gets a lot of weird looks when travelling but has never been let down. He claimed to have very little performance modifications and was easy to talk to and offered me a used v-mav intake and carb setup for nothing if I came to pick it up. I do not really think I need it as from my understanding is the power comes on at 6000 rpm and I hate winding out an engine. He seemed sincere and not as if he were one to embellish or make false claims. I am only repeating what I have been told, no more, no less. If it helps I am happy, if not well at least I made an effort to assist. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

I am there with ya Rbig.. I have always wanted to bag out a Max for a touring bike.. Done a little digging on the idea and found out that the Vmax actually has an ample amount of torque and pretty good torque curve.. I know that a stock Max on a dyno will do 110 horse and around 80 pds of torque with numbers not that much different from a stock Venture within the Ventures R range,, its when ya whip up the max above 6 grand that the boost kicks in and she comes alive..

I have a hunch that the MPG may suffer if using the Max for touring and I am almost sure they have a smaller tank (like a 100 mile range) but,, still,, be really really fun out in Montana RIPPING across the plains, all bagged out - tent floppin in the wind!!

I honestly doubt that gummin her up would be a problem... Another question to would be compression ratio,, whether or not premium fuel would be a must,, cant always find the good stuff when traveling.. Hmmm