IGNORED

Fuse block/horn relay question

XV1100SE

I picked up a couple fuse blocks (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271225775440?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 - also available at Princess Auto) and am trying to figure out where to put them. I was hoping to replace the single 6 gang fuse block I have wedged behind the battery but no way no how will it fit under the seat or under the battery side covers.

I didn't want to put them inside the fairing but looks like I'm going to have to. Mind you, in the years I've had the 6 gang fuse block I've never had to change a fuse.

Reason for two 4 gang fuse blocks is I have :

- passing lights

- gps

- powered trailer converter

- 3 Stebel horns

With all of it attached to the 6 gang fuse block it was blowing the 30A fuse between the battery and fuse block. I want to split the load across two 4 gang blocks, or just use one and feed the horns with an inline fuse.

Right now I have one relay for each horn. Since the relays are 30A, could I run the three horns off one relay? Would clean up wiring a bit. The existing relays are under the battery side covers. Thinking 12 gauge wiring from battery to relay with 30A fuse, and 12 gauge wire to each horn. The relay has a post 30 which I would run power to, and has an 87 and 87A post that I could feed the three horns to.

Would the one relay for three horns work?

I thought the stebel draws 18 amps which if you have more than one horn on one relay or one fuse block you are going to have an issue.

The relay is there to protect the switch from the current but overloading the relay is going to damage the relay, the same as it would damage the switch.

Brad

I thought the stebel draws 18 amps which if you have more than one horn on one relay or one fuse block you are going to have an issue. ...

I did a search and you are correct. I thought it was 10A but other sources say 18A.

I had tried 3 horns with everything else on the 6 gang block before and it popped the 30A fuse. Right now I have 2 horns on the 6 gang block with the third on an in line fuse and haven't had an issue.

Thinking... two 4 gang fuse blocks. Two horns on one block by themselves with one 30A relay and one horn on the other 4 gang fuse block with everything else. 12 gauge wiring.

Thanks Brad !

If you remove the rider's seat, there is a plastic shield behind the battery box over the rear fender. I attached my auxiliary fuse box to that and it fit nicely. It was a 6 fuse ATP style fuse block so it wasn't tiny.

Just a thought.

Andy