IGNORED

Trip to Key West at end of the month

creole

We're going with our riding group to key west at the end of the month. The route is pretty much planned already (we take turns planning these trips, this is not my turn), however, I am curious if there are things we should definitely see, or avoid. I mean other than the gators, panthers and love bugs of course LOL....

Creole

There is a lot to do there, even if you aren't hitting the bars. We were finally able to get to the Dry Tortugas the last time we went down. That trip takes up a whole day, but we felt it was worth the time and money. There are dinner cruises that claim to get you out to where you can see the sunset better. I am sure they do for the most part but for some reason KW does not like me and there are always low lying clouds when I am there. We have done the glass bottom boat thing but I wasn't as impressed by that. You can find opportunities to snorkel, kayak, jet ski, etc. I did my first jet ski ride on a tour around KW, I would not recommend it as a beginner.

If anyone is retired or active military in your group, there is an ITT at the Sigsbee Navy base where they can get discount tickets. It saved us a bunch on the Tortugas trip.

We're going with our riding group to key west at the end of the month. The route is pretty much planned already (we take turns planning these trips, this is not my turn), however, I am curious if there are things we should definitely see, or avoid. I mean other than the gators, panthers and love bugs of course LOL....

Creole

I did that ride from Miami to Key West a few years ago. Flew to Florida, then Peterson's Harley Davidson loaned me an Electroglide for a couple of days. I wrote a story for a magazine about the ride and I can send it to you, but you absolutely have to stop for lunch at The Islamorada Fish Company Restaurant and Market. The grouper sandwich is phenomenal and their key lime pie is the absolute best! You eat while sitting above the water and you can throw food to the waiting huge fish that patrol the water for treats.

Let me know if you want the story. Too big to place here. keysyrider@gmail.com

I did that ride from Miami to Key West a few years ago. Flew to Florida, then Peterson's Harley Davidson loaned me an Electroglide for a couple of days. I wrote a story for a magazine about the ride and I can send it to you, but you absolutely have to stop for lunch at The Islamorada Fish Company Restaurant and Market. The grouper sandwich is phenomenal and their key lime pie is the absolute best! You eat while sitting above the water and you can throw food to the waiting huge fish that patrol the water for treats.

Let me know if you want the story. Too big to place here. keysyrider@gmail.com

Absurdly agree. We wintered in Islamorada Florida for several years and the Fish Company is a must stop.

Like it has been said there is a lot to see in the Keys. You can also fly out to the fort, much faster.

BOO

Going down, the trip in the keys is best in the morning hours. You'll have the sun at your back.

KW is my hometown. I made 7 trips down in 11 & 12 (4 on Bike) while my brother had lung cancer. If you have occasion to go into "Ricks" which is directly across Duval from Sloppy Joe's stop in. My brother worked there for 20 yrs. His name was Andy and he was an avid HD guy.

El Siboney on Catherine St is as good as any cubano restaraunt anywhere. It is kinda off the beaten path and most of the patrons are locals.

If you are religious St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church is now a Basilica

Edited by yamagrl

look up "Better the Sex" Bistro, for Coffee & Cakes and pies:thumbsup2:

If you thought about heading to Mallory square, to watch the sunset., this is a better place to be. as you walk down Duval street , on the left hand side there is a Star Bucks Coffee shop, "go in and pass the counter on the left side, go through the glass doors, to the elevator, go up to the roof. there is a small bar up there, with live music. you can enjoy the sunset from up there, lesson to music, and have a few cylinders of liquid refreshments .:thumbsup2:

look up "Better the Sex" Bistro, for Coffee & Cakes and pies:thumbsup2:

they cost about as much too, but are well worth it. We usually avoid KW and concentrate on the mid keys. Watch out for the Key deer on big pine key, although endangered, they are everywhere including the roads. watch out for the pelicans on the bridges

they take the school zones seriously

Ride safe enjoy

Al