IGNORED

lowering fork and fairing

There are 2 nuts behind the headlamp that have to come off.

I lowed mine 1" and the upper fork covers hit the fender mount lugs and dented them, I'd suggest only going 3/4" In this picture you can see the studs above the fork air valve, that's the nuts you need to remove. the studs go thru the collar you see directly in front of the stud.

Edited by ragtop69gs

Attempted to lower the front forks 3/4" today. Had everything done down to removing the 2 Allen head screws in the front of the Triple tree to find that the heads are striped or close to it (6mm). Putting in back together until I can find some help.

Did not want to push the issue without having someone with more experience working with me. Especially removing the rear fairing. If anyone lives near Carterville Georgia that can help let me know.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is done. Apparently the factory over torqued the 2 bolts for the bracket that attaches the fairing mount to the top of the triple tree. The treads where beginning to strip on the bolts. It took 2 people a hammer, vise grips and Allen headed bit to remove them. Was able to get replacement screws from Yamaha.

Raised the fork 3/4" and put it back together. The bike diffidently handles better.

Another plus is the loud cluck I heard on large bumps (since new) from the front of the bike is now gone. I have no idea what was changed to cause it to disappear.

My thanks to ragtop69gs and djh3 for their help.

Bob