IGNORED

Again this is the Best Site Around

pktexas

Just finished an over 4k mile trip on the 05 Midnight. Started out on an Iron Butt Border to Border from Laredo, Tx to Emerson, MB, Canada. Ended up riding almost all of Texas in the rain. Then I had the rear tire started to go down west of Topeka, Ks on the Turnpike at midnight. It was several hours before I had the tire plugged and back on the road. By then with the rain and the tire, the B2B was going to be a DNF.

After a few hours sleep, checked my phone and DaveZipcode here in Houston was following my Spot Tracker and wanted to see what went wrong. He then got me info on VR members in the Sioux Falls area that I could contact. Since I was sure I could make it to Sioux Falls where I was to meet the wife to start a trip to the Black Hills after the B2B run.

I contacted member EZRALE (Ezra) who lives in Dell Rapids north of Sioux Falls. Explained my situation with the rear tire and needing a dealer to get a new one. I didn’t want to ride a long trip with the wife on a plugged tire. He gave info on a Yamaha dealer and some other choices for repair, Yamaha was just a stones throw from the motel I was planning to stop at and meet the wife who was flying in on Tuesday. That Tuesday morning got the bike over to the dealer and they had one rear tire for the Venture in stock. They had me fixed up in about 2 hrs.

After picking the bike up, Erza came by the motel on his 97 RSTD to meet and we talked for awhile and then went for a ride around the Sioux Falls area out in the countryside. We had a great time chatting and then found out we are both in the Broadcast business working for TV stations. What are the odds? Erza had just joined VR in August and put down on his profile VR assistance, but thinking it would be a million years before he would get a call. You never know. Thanks Erza.

Picked up the wife at the airport and we started our trip the Black Hills area, had a great time riding in South Dakota and will be back. Then we headed to Denver to see an old friend there. While there noticed a small coolant leak coming from #2 cyl. Immediately got on the VR site to search, and found out about the dime fix on the drain plug. Worked like a charm. Its still there.

I, like most everyone on this site really enjoy the having this group of people who freely give help and knowledge for all to use. There isn’t another group like this I am sure.

Thanks again to Dave, Ezra and my wife Mollie who brought a spare tire on her flight just in case the dealer didn’t have one. Here are some pics of the trip.

PS. With over 97500 miles on the Venture, I know she is just getting broke in. Love to ride it and do. Perry

that you did not get to finish the iron butt...glad you did enjoy the trip...thanks, Perry for all the photos...they are super.

BTW...I totally agree with your comment about this being the best website!!!!!!

Edited by Aimhigh
add statement

Picked up the wife at the airport and we started our trip the Black Hills area, had a great time riding in South Dakota and will be back. Then we headed to Denver to see an old friend there. While there noticed a small coolant leak coming from #2 cyl. Immediately got on the VR site to search, and found out about the dime fix on the drain plug. Worked like a charm. Its still there.

The use of a dime will get you back on the road, but it can cause the side cover plate to snap in two if the screw is tightened up to far.

I did this years ago, but I was using a small washer instead of a dime and snapped a cover plate. After that I got some thinner nylon washers to use.

Gary