If you have the shaft drive coupling lower than the body of the shaft unit, I understand that MkII's can leak out of the shaft coupling. Some think that this is how the coupling is lubricated, but it's not--the grease lubes the couplng. There is a vent above the normal shaft fluid level (80W-90W) and if you let the coupling get low, the lube can come out. Make sure you grease the coupling with molybdenum-disulfide grease, and check the shaft unit lube level after you get it back on the bike. BTW, most of us grease the front (U-joint) coupling with the same grease when the shaft goes back in. Some use moly grease on the tire to shaft unit coupling, but I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease.

Frank D.

If you have the shaft drive coupling lower than the body of the shaft unit, I understand that MkII's can leak out of the shaft coupling. Some think that this is how the coupling is lubricated, but it's not--the grease lubes the couplng. There is a vent above the normal shaft fluid level (80W-90W) and if you let the coupling get low, the lube can come out. Make sure you grease the coupling with molybdenum-disulfide grease, and check the shaft unit lube level after you get it back on the bike. BTW, most of us grease the front (U-joint) coupling with the same grease when the shaft goes back in. Some use moly grease on the tire to shaft unit coupling, but I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease.

Frank D.

YOU do NOT grease the coupling on the 1300s ever. :no-no-no:That flex-seal is to keep the gear oil in. FACT: The 1st 1300 service manuals had a misprint...which was left over from the 1200 manual. Note: the 1200 and 1300 use different designs. And greasing a 1200 is normal. . On a 1300 It should not leak at the flex-seal and you do not need to grease anything but the splines at the universal end by the engine. There is no reason the "grease" the coupling under the seal.

Edited by jasonm.