IGNORED

Texas Tour of Honor 5 of 7

pktexas

I completed part of my ride of the Tour of Honor to visit 7 memorial sites around Texas. I signed up for this ride back in Dec. The sites became available April 1st. Dave Zipcode and I attempted back on April 6th when he had his rear tire go flat on the way to the first site in Fredericksburg. Then he went down with his wife a week ago. Sure missed having him ride along, but glad he and Jamie are ok.

I was planning to complete the ride of visiting all 7 sites in an Iron Butt Saddlesore 2000 in under 48hrs. The ride was good, turned Hot in North Texas, great weather, finished the required 4 sites in 1000 miles under the 24hr. Grabbed one more site north of Dallas at 12:30am. Headed for home, stopped for some rest along the way. Amazing you can fall alseep on the bike lying on the tank bag. By then I was up for over 24hrs. Got home after 27hrs on the road.

Decided on not going to south Texas to grab the remaining 2 memorials. Needed to get some good rest. Was about 25 miles short of being able to submit the ride as a Bunburner 1500 in 36hrs. So I went for a short ride to get me over the #.

Here are some pics of the memorial sites I visited.

Congrats Perry! That's quite an achievement.:happy65: Wish I could have ridden with you. :-(

I know you didn't achieve the sort of pace you expected. What slowed you down? Looks like you spent a bunch of time in Fredericksburg, for example. Traffic?

Dave

Great job Perry! I've been thinking about doing the 7 memorials out here in California. The furthest one out is about as far north in Cali that you can go, and I'm down in SoCal. So I would need a few days to do it. But the important part is you did it safely and it is for a great cause!

Ride Safe!

BigDawg

Congrats Perry! That's quite an achievement.:happy65: Wish I could have ridden with you. :-(

I know you didn't achieve the sort of pace you expected. What slowed you down? Looks like you spent a bunch of time in Fredericksburg, for example. Traffic?

Dave

GPS had me moving for almost 23hr out of the 28. Averaged around 30min per memorial stop, with 7 gas stops along the way. Seen a lot of DPS around Fredericksburg area. I rode a conservative ride, needed you to push me. Haven't checked my gas mileage yet, but I know on the way up to Lubbock the head wind was bad. I usually switched off the aux tank at 100 miles. That section, got only 60 miles on the tank. All n all was happy with the ride.

Only traffic was back in Houston when they had 610 N and 45 shutdown and I had to sit in traffic to find a different route thru town.

Great job Perry! I've been thinking about doing the 7 memorials out here in California. The furthest one out is about as far north in Cali that you can go, and I'm down in SoCal. So I would need a few days to do it. But the important part is you did it safely and it is for a great cause!

Ride Safe!

BigDawg

Thanks, would love to ride in California some day. Was stationed at Vandenburg AFB in the 70's, did a lot traveling around that state. Would love to see it again on a bike. Hope you get to do the ToH run.