IGNORED

If Only we could!!!

Trader

A letter from a Gutsy Cape Bretoner –Gotta love it!!!

“Dear Revenue Canada,

Enclosed and/or attached, you will find my 2010 tax return showing that I owe $3,407.00 in taxes.

Please note the attached article from the Toronto Globe and Mail; dated 12 November, wherein you will see the Canadian Department of National Defense is paying $171.50 per hammer and Fisheries and Oceans Canada has paid $600.00 per toilet seat for its icebreakers.

As payment, I am enclosing four (4) toilet seats (valued @ $2,400) and six (6) hammers valued @ $1,029), which I secured at Canadian Tire, bringing my total remittance to $3,429.00.

Please apply the overpayment of $22.00 to next year's tax bill or a roll of toilet paper.

It has been a pleasure to pay my tax bill this year, and I look forward to paying it again next year.

Man is that old Not only that But i know the guy that really did that. I worked with him at General motors here in Rochester New York. He was big in trying to get the Income Tax repealed here in the U.S. so he went to the local federal building with a box full of hammers and and siting what he had read about what the Government paid he wanted to pay his taxes with them. needles to say they wouldn't accept them and and had to have him removed from the office. His name is Robert Surrini and he was a character and a half.

He used to love doing stuff to poke a finger in the eye of local officals and police. He once had a stand off with police for hours because he wouldn't get out of his car when he got pulled over. They had half a dozen cop cars all around him.

Sheriffs came to his house once and found marijuana plants growing in his back yard. He called the cops and told them they removed them illegally because they didn't have a search warrant.Unfortunately for Bob they were in relatively plain sight from the side of his house.

Bob was a bit peculiar but deep down he was a funny guy. never hurt anyone. Last I heard he moved to Maine. haven't heard from him in years.:big-grin-emoticon: Maybe he moved to Canada???!!!

There are all kinds of folks out there with their battles against the systems.

I once worked with a man (an OTR driver) that carried a briefcase with him at all times. Never out of reach. Would have been tough to lose with the handcuff and chain attached to it. If he moved it went with him. He slept with the thing chained to his arm.

He was a bit paranoid and ANYONE wearing a suit was one of "Them". A "G-man", "Spooks". He would get nervous and tell me they followed him everywhere. Always watching him. That was why he kept traveling.

Ok, a bit of an odd person but very intelligent and well educated. After a long friendship I asked him what it was all about. He had at one time run an ad in a local paper as a "handyman" to do odd jobs and fixer up stuff. It was comically worded and funny to read and it was clear he was a jack of trades. Somehow the ad got investigated as a sex ad and the postal service got involved and then it sprialed from there.

He filed a lawsuit as he was convinced his mail was being opened by the USPS and goverment agencies. It eventualy went to court, he was cleared of all charges and he was awarded an impressive settlement. But, the settlement payment was never made.

In that briefcase was every piece of paperwork ever involved with the whole deal from the original ad to every letter he wrote and every response he received along with all his court records. He was afraid that THEY would steal the case with all his records and he would never be able to prove what he had coming to him from the lawsuit.

But then, with his figures on the settlement, his penalties for late payment and interest he was due he figured he owned the USPS lock, stock and barrel.

Lost track of the man after he made several job changes over the years. Always wondered how he was doing. He was always entertaining to talk with and I'm still convinced he was a lot saner than some folks I have met in my life. :whistling:

Mike