IGNORED

Installed my new Clearview Shield

GolfVenture

After reading several posting on shields, I ordered the largest, tinted with vent for my 91 VR. Largest for added protection and to help with the passenger wind buffering.

The result is that both I and myself felt more wind buffering than the standard OEM shield. Whats up with that?

So a fellow rider suggested I open the vent up. That seemed to help with the wind buffering, but we do not think it is any better than the OEM buffering.

Now I will really want to avoid riding in rain. Eithor let the rain thru the vent for a less buffering ride or stay dryer and let the wind buffering beat me up.

On top of that I've heard that my mpg could be lightly reduced.

If I had to do it over again I think I would just install the vent on the OEM shield.

I may just do that anyway so I have a spare in the event a rock cracks the Clearview.

After reading several posting on shields, I ordered the largest, tinted with vent for my 91 VR. Largest for added protection and to help with the passenger wind buffering.

The result is that both I and myself felt more wind buffering than the standard OEM shield. Whats up with that?

So a fellow rider suggested I open the vent up. That seemed to help with the wind buffering, but we do not think it is any better than the OEM buffering.

Now I will really want to avoid riding in rain. Eithor let the rain thru the vent for a less buffering ride or stay dryer and let the wind buffering beat me up.

On top of that I've heard that my mpg could be lightly reduced.

If I had to do it over again I think I would just install the vent on the OEM shield.

I may just do that anyway so I have a spare in the event a rock cracks the Clearview.

There are two different things going on here.

Wind blast .... That is the straight forward effect of riding a naked bike .... you are out in the breeze, and buffeting.

The windshield protects you from the blast of driving through the air at speed. The bigger and wider the screen, the more protection, at a price.

But the shield creates a vacuum behind it as you move. That vacuum drags turbulent air round behind the shield, causing buffeting. With a small shield that can affect the driver, with a larger one the passenger, and with a super-large one you both can be protected, but expect a hit in performance and gas mileage.

One answer is to vent the screen. That breaks the vacuum and smooths the airflow. It can be quite effective at shielding both rider and pillion, even with a relatively small shield. You trade some wind blast for much reduced buffeting.

You can go one further and install an adjustable screen. This is a second shield attached by brackets onto the original, cut down shield. By design they are "vented". The advantage is that you can ride with it raised most of the time, but lower it when you need to be able to see over it ... at night, in the rain, etc.

I've got the largest Clearview i could get with vent on my 02 RSV and love it! We switched to it because the wife was getting beaten up fairly bad with the OEM shield. She is a very happy girl now.

You'll know this if you have intercom systems on, the wiring will try and fly around in a circle while traveling down the road.I'm looking into cutting mine down & adding vent holes like the old Vetter Fairings.

If you cut the right size holes, you can still get those vents new, from craigvetter.com