IGNORED

I know it is 3.5 Qts With Filter,

Cougar

BUT.... I can not put more then 3 Qts in the since it has been Triked...

this is with a new filter as well.:confused24:

If I put 3.5 Qts in and start the bike and let it sit over night

the oil is at the top LINE of the site glass. and then in return it

will run out of my over flow vents at the bottom of my bike.

As you can see in a previous post that I had made in the trike section

with the oil all over my Diff from the spray back from the vent tubes.

The trike looks level and all. and with the 3 Qts in there the oil is right

at the middle on the site glass now.

It is just stumping heck out of me.. bike runs great , but still it is only 3 qts,

Think it will be OK this way?:think:

Thanks,

Jeff

When I took my 08 RSV in for Hannigan conversion, the oil was mid way in sight glass. When I got it back, the sight glass was full. I asked the installer why they added oil and they claimed they didn't. Seems that having the rake kit on the front changes the rake of the bike and therefore the oil collecting toward the front of the crankcase and causing the false reading. Just my theory...

Kind of what I was thinking as well Bob.. That bike tho seems to be at the same hight as before.. anyways from now on I am adding just 3 Qts... If you add 3.5 then there is a real mess under there. did a 300 mile trip over the weekend and seem to be just fine with

the 3 in it. learn something new all the time !!

Jeff

Not sure what to say about this. Oil should always be checked with bike straight up on a level surface. When I changed our trike oil and filter last time, it took almost 4 quarts. Run the bike a few minutes; let it set a few minutes; and oil is at midway point in the site glass. Overnight, oil will rise to the max point. Never have oil leakage. Drove 280 miles on Saturday with no leakage. Last time at the Yamaha shop, the service manager commented that our trike is unusually dry. :confused24:

Leo, we don't have much choice in the matter that our bikes are

straight up on a level surface do we? :whistling: anyways, there is no

way I can get 4 Qts into my trike. seems to be real happy with 3

in it now. and the site glass even sitting for 3 days still shows

to the middle of glass.

BUT.... I can not put more then 3 Qts in the since it has been Triked...

this is with a new filter as well.:confused24:

If I put 3.5 Qts in and start the bike and let it sit over night

the oil is at the top LINE of the site glass. and then in return it

will run out of my over flow vents at the bottom of my bike.

As you can see in a previous post that I had made in the trike section

with the oil all over my Diff from the spray back from the vent tubes.

The trike looks level and all. and with the 3 Qts in there the oil is right

at the middle on the site glass now.

It is just stumping heck out of me.. bike runs great , but still it is only 3 qts,

Think it will be OK this way?:think:

Thanks,

Jeff

I suspect that you are probably not getting all of the old oil out at each change. Also, the amount of oil that the bike will take is very dependent on the size of filter you use, they can range from .25 to .75 qts (I think) depending on whether you end up with a short or long one. Just a thought.

Since you say your bike spews oil out if you use more than the 3 quarts, I probably wouldn't worry about it so long as you are sure that your trike is actually level and that you have your oil in the site glass.

Rick, are you triked?

Oops... No I am not. Sorry about the confusion/being unclear. It has been one of those days...

When I change mine I use my Carbon_One freestanding adapter to hold my bike up. My garage floor is level-ish in some places. I usually check the oil level while on the [carbon_one] stand then again with me holding it up right while on the floor.

I also meant to add that if I do a quick change I will only put in a little over 3 quarts. By 'quick change' I mean do the following: Warm up bike, pull drain plug, remove old filter, replace new filter, replace drain plug then fill. I have found that if I pull the drain plug and then walk away and let it sit for 5-10 minutes or so before pulling the filter, I end up putting in another .25 quart or so which is exactly why I try to avoid being so impatient during my changes.

Again, sorry about the ambiguous posts my brain has been all over the place lately... I guess that is a sign that I have not been riding enough!

Hmm... Learn something every day. Thought the high and low oil marks were the notches inside the site window. Turns out there are level markings on the site window frame. So our cold oil level is 1/8" below the high mark. Beautiful!

Is it time for the Florida Keys ride yet?? Looks like Thursday is my start day...... :banana: Guess I better pack...... :)