IGNORED

Dunlop D404 VS Shinko 777??

Well.... I've taken tomorrow off for a three day weekend. Tomorrow will be spent bringing my wheel and tire to the shop to have a new rear tire put on. The rest of the weekend will be spent riding. (I Hope). I think I've narrowed it down between the Dunlop D404 and The Shinko 777. Any thoughts on these or should I be looking at something different all together? I'm really leaning towards the Dunlop but just thought I'd pop in for a few varied opinions.

Hope ya'll are doing great! Happy trails!

Jay

I'm not sure what makes the D404s a not very good choice. When I bought my 93 the seller had just put a "new" D402 (load rating 77) on it. I don't have proof that it was brand new but the tread was definitely pretty deep so it wasn't too hard to believe.

I've since ridden it 13K miles and it's still showing plenty of tread left. Lotta 2up, lotta solo, sometimes empty, sometimes heavily loaded and overloaded. Maybe I'm just not goosing it hard enough? I do keep it pretty well near the max sidewall pressure though- surely that helps matters.

I dont know about the dunlops. No expeirience with them. I had a set of shinko tourmasters on front and back of my 91 . GRipped the road like it was on rails, but the rear only lasted 7000 miles and that was unsafe on the last 500 or so. Front is still on after 13,000 miles and will rpobably last a few thousand more.

DAvid

I've been readin LOTS and LOTS of posts on here about the tires.... shoooowheeee talk about varied opinions! HAHA.... Tires are such a personal choice that we all have our preferences... I'd personally love to put the Elite II on the bike but I'm on a budget... so I'm having to step back to a lesser tire and maybe a while down the road, I can get the Elite II's and pull the D404 off for a back up.... Sigh... Anyone got those winning lotto #'s I can borrow???????

Jay

I've been readin LOTS and LOTS of posts on here about the tires.... shoooowheeee talk about varied opinions! HAHA.... Tires are such a personal choice that we all have our preferences... I'd personally love to put the Elite II on the bike but I'm on a budget... so I'm having to step back to a lesser tire and maybe a while down the road, I can get the Elite II's and pull the D404 off for a back up.... Sigh... Anyone got those winning lotto #'s I can borrow???????

Jay

never go cheap on tires. I found Dunlops to last good. But their handling to be only fair when compared to Avon or Michelin. The 404 is a cheaper version of the Elite II. I had elite II...hated them....especially the front caused wobbling. Rear Avons expect 10k-14k. Elites get 13k easy...404's don't expect more than 10k. The Elite3 is same as EliteII in many ways but with different tread pattern, similar to Avons. And do not compare an RSV to a 1st. gen on tire mileage. They use totally different sizes and significant difference in power and weight bias. Also check the max WEIGHT ratings of all these. The Venture is NOT a light bike. And much of the weight is on the rear wheel. They should be rated 77H or approx. 900# max on the sidewall. I can only tell you what I would do...I'd get the NEW Michelin Commander II $130 on line. Michelin claims mileage over 20k miles for these. FYI- Avon has cheapened the Venom. They used to be a 6 ply tire with a 4 ply sidewall. Now they are 5 ply with a 3 ply sidewall and the price has dropped because of this. Dennis Kirk has them Avons for $110 for rear 140/90-16.

I have Metzler Marathon on the rear wheel. Seems to last forever but makes a very annoying sound as soon as I tilt the bike. Front is a Michelin Macadam; OK.

So perhaps I'll put on another Michelin on the back wheel to avoid the howling. Anyone that have experience of this phenomena?

OK as far as price, an E-3 will probably last as long as two 404's or at least 1 1/2 times for sure, so multiply the cost of the D404 by that and tell me which is cheaper in the long run! As John Arbuckle said, "You get what you pay for!" BTW the Michelin Commanders are also a nice tire. With ANY tire pay attention to the manufacturer's date code and it is highly recommended, especially on 2 wheels, to not use any tire more than 6 years old!

I know this is going to stir the hornet's nest but it is not a good idea to have different tread patterns on the front vs the rear as handling will be adversely affected. Also never mix bias and radial tires as the results could be disaster...

I know this is going to stir the hornet's nest but it is not a good idea to have different tread patterns on the front vs the rear as handling will be adversely affected. Also never mix bias and radial tires as the results could be disaster...

I do have to say that I believe the best handling my bike has ever been was when I had the used Venom on the front and the new E-3 on the back. I believe it handled even a little better than when I replaced the front with an E-3. My bike just did not handle good at 70+ mph with the Venom on the back.

RandyA

I have Metzler Marathon on the rear wheel. Seems to last forever but makes a very annoying sound as soon as I tilt the bike. Front is a Michelin Macadam; OK.

So perhaps I'll put on another Michelin on the back wheel to avoid the howling. Anyone that have experience of this phenomena?

Yes sir.I get this out of the front with brickstones.I thought I had bad bearings.Anytime a lean is initiated my tires howl and complain.

OK, my question is if there are any other tyre that makes this kind of noice ( howling or whatever )? I want my next rear rubber to be quiet.

Avon Venom and Dunlop Elite 3 howl at the moon when you corner at 40 or so. I now have Michelin Commander on the back...very quiet. The noise from many tires are caused by the size of the water sipes and spacing. E3 and Venoms are similar is look and ...sound.