IGNORED

VA PTSD treatment

Iowa Guy

I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in Iowa in private practice. I treat a whole variety of conditions, one of which is PTSD in Vets. I've recently been told by an Iraq Vet that the VA treatment he has received has not included exposure therapy or desensitization. I know that there are many Vets on this sight so I wanted to ask peoples experience with the VA and what treatment they or someone they know has gotten from the VA.

Tim Lantz

Iowa Guy

I suffer too from PTSD, not from Military service, however if I had served at least I could at least have a logical reason to mine. It's only been in the last 2-3 years I stopped waking screaming or cling to Mike for dear life in my sleep. I was heavily medicated on antidepressants that left me like a zombie, and the side effects of some almost killed me. I wasn't offered therapy, just drugs to keep me numb. I sympathize with anyone that has PTSD, it's a demon you can't fight easily and it will break you. Dad also had PTSD, and I think my eldest brother does too. I suffered at the hands of an abusive exhusband. If the VA doesn't do well servicing our vets, it's no wonder civilians like me get shoved under the carpet. I'm very lucky to have a husband who fought to save me from my own hell.

My daughter is currently going through the VA evaluation for TBI and PTSD. She was blown up in Afghanistan 2 years ago. EOD said it was 200 lbs of explosives and if they hadn't swerved at the last minute, they would not have made it. Her MRAP was blown up into the air and down into a crater made by the explosion. She also had a 200 lb gunner fall on top of her. She was an MP with Airborne. Earned many awards including her Combat Action Badge and Purple Heart.

She spent 6 weeks in Bagram Medical. Her @$$hole 1st Sgt made her go back on patrol the day after she was released. She finished her deployment with all the symptoms of TBI and PTSD, anxiety, frustration, anger fear. The Army pretty much didn't do much about it. She spent 2 more months after Green Ramp on base patrol when they finally did a second CAT Scan/MRI and found she still had excessive brain swelling. She went on profile including to the point of the Army revoking her driving privileges.

She got married after returning and then pregnant. The Army gave her the choice of deploying after the baby was born, or getting out. She chose the get out option.

Anyway, the Army Physcologist tried to say she had a learning disability from birth. SHe had 2 years of college, worked as a bank teller, graduated from boot camp and Military Police Acadamy and served her deployment, both uninjured and then injured and some police patrol work. She did/does not have a learning disability from prior to the injury. The Army suspended her medical until her separation from the Army because they wanted the VA to take over the medical.

I just last week submitted a letter outlining the changes/issues with my beautiful Lil Hero and the impact the IED has made on her. We will see how the VA handles this from now on....

KIC, its a very difficult and frustrating process. it took me a year and a half to get service related disability. my advice is to have her get a representative to help her with her application. i used the AMERICAN LEGION. good organization. after being 100% for 8 years, i was finally awarded Permanent and Total. thats means my injuries will never get better. it allows my childrenand spouse(if i had one) the opportunity for health care and an education. its worth the fight. i gave my all, they should return the favor.

If you haven't already, send a letter to your US Senators and Congressman with this information. Ask for a reply. They should all have an aid assigned to veterans issues.

And thank your daughter from me for her service to the people of the USA.

My daughter is currently going through the VA evaluation for TBI and PTSD. She was blown up in Afghanistan 2 years ago. EOD said it was 200 lbs of explosives and if they hadn't swerved at the last minute, they would not have made it. Her MRAP was blown up into the air and down into a crater made by the explosion. She also had a 200 lb gunner fall on top of her. She was an MP with Airborne. Earned many awards including her Combat Action Badge and Purple Heart.

She spent 6 weeks in Bagram Medical. Her @$$hole 1st Sgt made her go back on patrol the day after she was released. She finished her deployment with all the symptoms of TBI and PTSD, anxiety, frustration, anger fear. The Army pretty much didn't do much about it. She spent 2 more months after Green Ramp on base patrol when they finally did a second CAT Scan/MRI and found she still had excessive brain swelling. She went on profile including to the point of the Army revoking her driving privileges.

She got married after returning and then pregnant. The Army gave her the choice of deploying after the baby was born, or getting out. She chose the get out option.

Anyway, the Army Physcologist tried to say she had a learning disability from birth. SHe had 2 years of college, worked as a bank teller, graduated from boot camp and Military Police Acadamy and served her deployment, both uninjured and then injured and some police patrol work. She did/does not have a learning disability from prior to the injury. The Army suspended her medical until her separation from the Army because they wanted the VA to take over the medical.

I just last week submitted a letter outlining the changes/issues with my beautiful Lil Hero and the impact the IED has made on her. We will see how the VA handles this from now on....

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all who responded to this thread. I've listened to the experiences, the ones that they could tell, of vets from Korea, Panama, and the Middle East. It has given me a profound respect for all who have been in combat, all who didn't see combat but might have been called upon to at anytime.

And so thank you to all those in the military who have served, been separated from family, and risked their lives for our country.

tim lantz

My daughter just drove 90 miles to her TBI/PTSD appointment. Let the fun begin. She is afraid that if she is too blunt about her issues, they could use it to implicate any issues to her being a fit mother ?!

She is a great mother to my 6 month old Grand Princess. But how do you tell all without some bureaucrat playing hero and doing something stupid. You hear horror stories all the time.

We'll see how it goes.. I'm sure we will talk during her drive back.

Grandpa bragging time : :cool10: :happy65:

Learn what that camera is real quick don't they!!:rotfl: You got your shotgun loaded yet??

Yep... 12-guage, solid black with a pistol grip...had a lot of practice on the vermin...I mean guys trying to date my daughter....:cool10:

Now you did it Dan...went and turned this into a gun thread. Now the anti-gun crowd will get this killed off too... :no-no-no:

So the initial diagnoses after today's appointment is that she does still have residual PTSD and TBI related injuries/issues. The interesting point is that the Doctor stated until she tries to work and the symptoms affects her ability to work, he doesn't know how they will classify the "disability". At the time after she returned from Afghanistan, she was the only Airborne Military Police Officer who couldn't carry a gun or drive. The Army actually pulled her driving privilege for a while. She was never removed off of profile while she was in the Army.

Now she is out and they can't decide if she can actually work or not. :confused24:

Bureaucrats...you can't live with them and you can't shoot them....:detective:

Yep... 12-guage, solid black with a pistol grip...had a lot of practice on the vermin...I mean guys trying to date my daughter....:cool10:

Now you did it Dan...went and turned this into a gun thread. Now the anti-gun crowd will get this killed off too... :no-no-no:

I usually just loaded some Rock Salt for those that didn't seem too serious...

See you mentioned shooting in your next post!!

I gave up fighting with those SOB's a long time ago. The VA not the young boys sniffing around!!:whistling: