Using an automotive floor jack (and a block of wood) what is the best location to lift the bike. (for example to change fork bearings)

I don't see clear access to the frame & I don't want to crush the exhaust.

Can I use the engine pan?

I will eventually get a M/C Jack

Sorry for all the questions but I don't find any in the search & I figure thre will be something for future VentureRiders!

On my 89, if I put it on the center stand and pull the front axle it'll tip back onto the rear wheel without a support at all.

Even if the MK1 is lighter in the rear you're only looking at a couple lbs. to keep the nose up. You can safely do that under the oil pan.

Of course even if it does tip back you want something under there because at some point you'll set something on it or lean on it..........

I would not do oil pan or exhaust collector. Although both may be safe it just don't fit right in my little brain when you could use a block or something and put the weight on the frame. Old collectors will crack and I just don't like pushing on a oil pan. If on center stand the front cross member will do. I have used a bottle jack there.

If on center stand the front cross member will do. I have used a bottle jack there.

I used a block in the front cross too when I was cleaning the rims.

Now on a M/C jack where would the 2 skids cross under the bike to LIFT it completely off the ground without messing stuff up?

Andy,

With the bike on the center stand, I have always used a bottle jack with a small piece of one/by at the case lift point (you can spot it) in front of the oil plug.

Now with a bike lift, you can use it like a fork lift and just pick the bike up. But you need to balance the bike where it will lift the bike straight up. I always found this point with the left fork just back of the center stand pivit bolt. So you will pick the bike up from the center stand and the frame which just happens to be at the same level as the front exhaust. It may take a couple of times to find the right balance point where both wheels come up together.

Hope this helps,

Rick

I used a block in the front cross too when I was cleaning the rims.

Now on a M/C jack where would the 2 skids cross under the bike to LIFT it completely off the ground without messing stuff up?

With my bike jack, the center of bike seems to be right under the exhaust collector , installing bike jack rubber tabs accordingly will do the job.

Balancing depending of wheel or other parts removal, will dictate exact center.

Security is imperative and at all time use mechanical lock on bike jack, never rely solely on hydraulic cylinder also a second smaller jack could be used to help balancing if needed. A table jack would be even better

Mike