IGNORED

Question about cedar shake shingles.

Red Rider

My parents had them on there home for over 30 years with no problems.

My bothers and I helped put them on, now that is a job!!

This place was up near Lake Tahoe, I believe there still on that same home. why

would you need to change them anyway? :think: and if you don't like the moss

just clean it off.

I have a home that has vinyl siding and I don't think it will last as long

as my parents cedar siding.

Edited by Cougar

I would lightly (very lightly) power wash every other year, let dry and spray with a sealer. The moss and organic material will hold moisture and that will cause you problems. Had these on my last house and occasionally replaced a few, they work well as long as you are not in a fire prone area.

I'm looking at buying a home with cedar shakes, they are at least 14 years old. They do have some moss going on them but other then that they look good. When should they be replaced? I live in Minnesota.

Cedar is naturally rot and insect resistant and those shingle should outlast asphalt by many years. They are less susceptible to hail damage too and they insulate better.

One thing that can happen is that lots of wood splinters, etc, can gather in your roof space and it's worth clearing that stuff out to reduce the fire risk.

I'd love to have cedar shingles, but they are not a cheap option :)

It might be worth having a roofing expert (who you trust not to simply try to sell you a new roof) inspect them every few years.

Moss on cedar shingles is not a good thing. It means there is a lot of moisture in the shingles and although the cedar is rot resistant if they are wet for some length of time they do designate. More important the underlayment under the shingles is getting destroyed. Most cedar shingles today are laid down over solid sheeting, plywood or strand board (Sp) and neither can handle moisture for any length of time.

I don't offer a cure for your issue because there probably isn't one. It would certainly help to clean the roof though.

BOO

Insulation works much better with adequate insulation. I vented my eaves and have several roof vents with a power vent that has a thermostat and humidistat. Every winter morning when you see frost on your windshield, their will be some frost or humidity that will collect on the bottom of the sheeting in your attic. Venting it allows the insulation to stay dry. Insulation needs to be dry to work and keep mold and rot out of your attic. Shingles, I don't care what type, need to be free of dirt and debris to promote longer life. Dirt in winter will collect moisture , freeze and thaw and damage shingles just like a pothole in a road. I have even seen nails pop up from frosting, any exposed nails should have asphalt, caulk or other sealer to keep from popping. Your roof, gutters, siding... like your bike needs some maintenance for maximum longevity and appearance.