IGNORED

Sound familiar?

darthandy

So ... went out to the cold garage this morning (36 F. - ouch - Winter is definitely coming!) to start the bike and...no dash lights. The radio was coming on, as was the alarm but no dash lights and no start. As I was in a hurry (Club breakfast.) I started the Triumph and headed out on that. Oh the irony! Had to use my English bike because the Japanese bike wouldn't start. The exact opposite of the 70's! When I got back, I pulled off the seat and checked the battery - 12.71 V. which, given the temps and my efforts to start it earlier, seemed reasonable. Tried again and got a flash at the dash. Aha! Played with the key and, sure enough, everything is on! Moved the key a bit and off it all goes. Damn. The ignition switch! There is a tiny 2 or 3 degree arc between working and not working. I guess I waited too long to install a relay on the passing lights (I have them on all the time...gets cagers to notice me.). So...has anyone successfully repaired this switch or am I looking at a replacement? I've checked most of the main threads to date and it seems everyone either puts in a replacement or uses a permanent bypass. I wouldn't mind using a bypass that still requires the key to be on, but wouldn't that also require a properly working ignition switch? At least my gas tank was nearly empty, so removal should be a touch easier.

Would the ignition switch from any other model of Yamaha (Say an RSTD, etc.) fit or is there only the Venture switch? Pinwall Cycle on Ebay at present has several, including one with a full set of locks (Bags, trunk, helmet locks and gas cap) and I don't really want to go with a new one after seeing the U.S. price for them (and those were U.S. prices!).

Andy

Edited by darthandy