IGNORED

Can I do dual switches for extra lights

GolfVenture

I want to put some some small 55 watt plattuiem burners on the mirror brackets for my 91 VR. Being that the PTT switch by the left grip is not used for I use blue tooth, I would like to activate the Burners by the PTT switch as a signal. Also I would like to put a regular lighted toggle switch to activate the Burners for longer use. I plan on using a relay. My thoughts are that I can do this, but would like conformation that I would not be creating a electricial problem.

Can't help you with that particular question but here is an idea for adding more switches to a 1st gen. Which as you have noticed is woefully short on places to do so.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34990

Worked out well for me and keeps the switches close at hand. Handles the driving lights, marker lights and parking lights in one panel.

Mike

Here is a diagram should allow what you intend

Brian,

Can you save your files as PDF, my laptop doesn't want to open your .doc files, says they are a newer version. I'm am still on XP, hate giving microsoft more money. Probably more than a few others like this.

Gary

Brian,

Can you save your files as PDF, my laptop doesn't want to open your .doc files, says they are a newer version. I'm am still on XP, hate giving microsoft more money. Probably more than a few others like this.

Gary

Your wish is my command

Brian,

Gary

Interesting... I'm one of 'those XP'ers', but when I clicked on the link, my version of MS Word converted the file to the older type by removing a few of the newer .docx features (pop up frame explaination) and it displayed OK.

I thought you may like to see what is mounted on top of my Brake and Clutch reservoirs:

The first is the Clutch. It has a two outlet powerpoint currently powering both GPS Units. That's not what it is intended for, but it's a long story. It is fused 15 Amp so it will power my fancy new tire inflator:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0690.jpg

Above the brake cylinder is a Radio Shack Project Box fitted with two switches.

The one on the left powers a set of driving lamps, through a relay, and the right switch is for the headlamp ... yeah, I rewired it :)

I have an HID unit and it doesn't appreciate firing up then having me hit the starter button. Besides, I am perfectly capable of deciding when I want my headlight on all on my own!

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/1986%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Royale/IMG_0691.jpg

Interesting... I'm one of 'those XP'ers', but when I clicked on the link, my version of MS Word converted the file to the older type by removing a few of the newer .docx features (pop up frame explaination) and it displayed OK.

My laptop offered my the choice of downloading an MS convertor to do that.

Gary

Can't help you with that particular question but here is an idea for adding more switches to a 1st gen. Which as you have noticed is woefully short on places to do so. ----- Worked out well for me and keeps the switches close at hand. Handles the driving lights, marker lights and parking lights in one panel. Mike

I did something that has worked really well for me, although others might consider it a "Poor Man Fix". I don't have pictures right now to better illustrate but basically, after I removed my cassette, I utilized some of the large space made available which remains covered and rain protected by my plastic cassette cover. I velcroed in (so it can be removed) a flat strip of firm black plastic cut from a plastic oil jug in a location that I can access easily when riding. I drilled three half inch holes in that plastic strip and installed three round switches that light up when they are on (and I can see that light through the plastic cassette cover). I use these switches for my axillary power plug also located in this protected space (which I use to plug in my GPS and want to be able to power off), and for added lights. It was easy to install and wire and it is neat. Will try to get a picture.

Ok, I've been feeling a bit guility not sharing my switch installation for it does not seem as good as those that has posted in this posting and other posting that I've read. I always felt that it would get readers to rub their chins with a hmmmm... or a raised eye brow. And there are probably reasons why. Oh well here is the attachment, don't laugh or maybe I should say have a good laugh.

One could hang the 8th one above the single right rear red on. Then if one needed more at the very top row, one could replace the 2 long ones on each sides and replace each one with two of the small ones making it a total of 10 switches. These were taken off my 89, and just placed on my 91 VR, but not fully installed just placed for looks. Because I realized that I would need to remove them all when the time comes to install progressive springs. Well with the purchase of the recent 91 VR I'm going to wait till I install the progressive springs this winter on the 91 VR then install the switches afterwards.