IGNORED

plastic repair

Just Doug

I had a push pin broke off of the side panel. I tried something new and so far it works.

Super glue and baking soda. I put the baking soda on first place the pin then put super glue on. It causes a reaction and gets real hard. So far so good.

What kind of push pin did you have break? Is it one of the plastic type rivets? Alot of auto part stores carries them and even lows has some in the clip sections. Never heard of the super glue and baking soda might have to try that to see what it does

I have been using baking soda and super glue on model airplanes ever since the super glues first came out back in the late 60s early 70s.

It does set up real fast and hard.

But a few warnings are in order.

That cloud of smoke that shoots out of the joint is cyanide gas. Not real good for you. And just a little will cause some people great respiratory issues and/or burning of the eyes, nose, throat.

Because it sets up SO fast it also creates a lot of heat. I have started fires with the heat produced from the reaction.

The resultant joint will breakdown in water. No more riding in the rain or frequent washing. (Not that I would ever do that on purpose.)

The main ingredient in super glue is also a major ingredient in loctite, and we have all learned what that does to ABS over time.

Super glue and many plastics do not play well together, ABS is one of them.

Edited by Flyinfool

A clean break in ABS is most easily repaired with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK).

It is the solvent for ABS and works fast and effectively.

MEK is stocked by Homedepot at about $10 per quart .... It's there with the paint thinners.