Hi All,

I bought an 83 with twenty thousand miles on it. I am experienceing a problem with the engine makeing burp noises and emitting smoke around the tank filler area. The smoke is blueish, like it prolly is crankcase blowby or would be similar to the exhaust of a car that is burning large amounts of oil. This bike does NOT emit blue smoke from the tailpipes at all. The burp sound, and this emission of smoke, typically happens at low rpm, maybe no more than 2500, under mostly very light to no throttle. The first times I heard it, there was just a burp noise and the emission, but the last time it happened, it was substantially louder, and there was a hiss at the end, along with a larger amount of smoke. I was travelling about fifteen mph in second gear, and it just happened.

My impression is that this must be a build up of crankcase pressure, that somehow gets forced out thru the cc vent, into the air cleaner, then perhaps the air cleaner assembly has a rubber seal that is disturbed enough to make the burp sound, and separates releasing the built up crankcase pressure, or at least this is what I think. What think ye all, please.

Well, you are right about the source being the PCV systrm, but I'm not sure of the cause specifically. The system does not incorporate a PCV valve, just a rubber hose system that vents into the airbox.

First question I have to ask is how full is the oil in the site glass? The oil level wants to be nomore than halfway up the glass with the bike level. Any more and it will regurgitate the excess amount of oil. While we are on the subject of oil, was it changed recently? If so, what kind of oil?

If the engine is still running fine other than that, it's got to be something in the PCV. Perhaps a bug or something made it's home in one of the hoses...

Well, you are right about the source being the PCV systrm, but I'm not sure of the cause specifically. The system does not incorporate a PCV valve, just a rubber hose system that vents into the airbox.

First question I have to ask is how full is the oil in the site glass? The oil level wants to be nomore than halfway up the glass with the bike level. Any more and it will regurgitate the excess amount of oil. While we are on the subject of oil, was it changed recently? If so, what kind of oil?

If the engine is still running fine other than that, it's got to be something in the PCV. Perhaps a bug or something made it's home in one of the hoses...

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: Check what Bob says. Oil only half way up the sight glass whem on center stand. Open air box up to see how much oil has collected in bottom of it.

With only 20k on it, it's still a new baby and needs to be padded on the back right after being fed and before you put it down for the night,,,, I know, I doesn't make any sense but it does make Bob answer seem better,,,,and he's probably right.

Hi All,

Good replys all, after thinking about it some more, I am going to open the air box, check for oil and check the oil level, which I am almost sure is a little overfull based on your criteria. Karl also suggested more or less bypassing the AIR system, and venting the crankcases direct to atmosphere. Ive done that with my B12, or maybe I should say, a PO did and it works fine. Thanks all, TomSmith

This was an easy one, I found that the oil was overfilled, it occupied the entire window. I drained two filters worth of oil out, it was midwindow at that point, buttoned it up and took it for a ride. No hiccups at all , a bit of a difference from the last few rides. I did however, have problem with the oil warning area flashing on and off. I will add four ounces back to the oil level and see if that helps with that. Thanks guys.

Oil warning light is for oil pressure not oil level. Make sure you are not doing what I did. Read this thread. LOL.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62059

Karl,

I think you have this backwards. Oil pressure for these bikes is very erratic. I think the Oil Sending Unit checks oil level at the front of the engine. A warning indicator comes on when oil is low. Mine will come on when slightly low and under hard acceleration.