IGNORED

? For All You Electrical GURUS-NOT ME!

Long Tall

I bought the Alumna Trailer from a forum member here and I proceeded to do the wiring after many posts read and a few pm's....

Changed the 5 pin round on the Alumna over to a 5 pin flat and same for RSV...Decided to do wiring at the tail light because of existing wiring under seat for the lightbar under the trunk (not a lot of room left)...Wired her up and everything work....:banana:.

After a couple of days gone by I have my Bud over to show off my new toy....Turn the bike on...Start the bike....Reach under the fender near the hitch...grab the bike end of five pin connection and I happen to "touch" in the the bottom of the fender while reaching for the trailer end of the connection and ":puzzled:"...I blow the 15amp fuse for the lights....Replace the fuse and do this again ON PURPOSE and "same thing"....I replace the fuse....being more careful not to touch the bike end to anything and hook up the trailer and ALL IS WELL....

Question: Before I go into the rear light assembly and wire...What should I check first. I do not really want to go through everything again if I can avoid it....

TKS...

Long Tall

Lynchburg, VA:fingers crossed:

When you replaced ends, did you put the end on the bike side that only had 1 exposed pin?

This should be the ground pin and wouldn't blow a fuse if it contacted something.

The other 4 pins should be shielded by the rubber housing & difficult to contact frame with.

Gary

When you replaced ends, did you put the end on the bike side that only had 1 exposed pin?

This should be the ground pin and wouldn't blow a fuse if it contacted something.

The other 4 pins should be shielded by the rubber housing & difficult to contact frame with.

Gary

:bowdown: THAT BE IT!....THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ONE IS IN A HURRY....NOW!.>>>I GET TO DO IT AGAIN...IT WILL GO FASTER THIS TIME THOUGH....

THANKS GARY....

Long Tall

George in Virginia:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not good with electrics either. How can fixing a ground make the bike go faster?:think:

:stickpoke::whistling::rotf:

Been gone for a while..Just got back to the forum..

RE-Doing the wiring "will go faster" I have an 06 (Black Cherry) everyone knows they are already the fastest of all RSV's... :smile5:

Long Tall

Lynchburg, VA

I'm getting ready to hook up the electrical to my rsv and posted a question about hooking into the tail light harness as i have done on bikes before.

got a responce from member jer878 (Jim) about going to www.electricalconnection.com and getting a wire harness adaptor and isolator for the rsv.

he used one and it's great. So, I ordered mine yesterday. what i like about the isolator is if there is a short by grounding a wire it will not effect the bike's electrical system.

this is plug and play, with a clean oem look and no splicing wires to cause shorts or connection issues. can also be used on a 5 to 4 wire instalation. This company also has other interesting leds, like led oem side marker

lights on the saddle bag crash bars instead of the refectors.

definitely worth checking out.

with this i would also like to thank Jim (jer878) for the info.

I bought the Alumna Trailer from a forum member here and I proceeded to do the wiring after many posts read and a few pm's....

Changed the 5 pin round on the Alumna over to a 5 pin flat and same for RSV...Decided to do wiring at the tail light because of existing wiring under seat for the lightbar under the trunk (not a lot of room left)...Wired her up and everything work....:banana:.

After a couple of days gone by I have my Bud over to show off my new toy....Turn the bike on...Start the bike....Reach under the fender near the hitch...grab the bike end of five pin connection and I happen to "touch" in the the bottom of the fender while reaching for the trailer end of the connection and ":puzzled:"...I blow the 15amp fuse for the lights....Replace the fuse and do this again ON PURPOSE and "same thing"....I replace the fuse....being more careful not to touch the bike end to anything and hook up the trailer and ALL IS WELL....

Question: Before I go into the rear light assembly and wire...What should I check first. I do not really want to go through everything again if I can avoid it....

TKS...

Long Tall

Lynchburg, VA:fingers crossed: