The neutral switch on my 87 XVZ1300 is leaking oil. After opening the side cover I see that the wiring is cooked pretty well and I'd like to replace the switch assembly while I'm in there.

Have a source for a new old stock 1984 XVZ1200L switch and am wondering if that would work as a replacement? The price is reasonable as compared to the dealers crazy price.

If it won't work, does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced replacement switch.

Part numbers on the package of the possible replacement part are

41R-82540-01 A890725C 62 0612-3

All 83 - 93 gear indicator switches are the same. Make sure the new old stock one you are getting isn't cracked. Be sure to use locktite when installing the new one and be extremely careful not to overtighten cause you will surely crack the plastic. If your old one is just leaking, perhaps you should just replace the o-ring. Forget that last sentence as you stated the wiring is about fried.

According to the yamaha online parts catalog http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/servicehome/home.aspx if it is for a 1984 it takes the same same switch as the 1987. Old part number is 41R-82540-0100 new updated part number is 41R-82540-0200

aftermarket part numbers that applie to both years are 1185858 and 41864-001

1983 does take a different part number that number is 1L9-82540-00-00

Edited by saddlebum