IGNORED

CB question

Here's a question that I've been wondering about. If you lived in a state where you don't have to wear a helmet, but like to talk on the CB, but don't want to spent the money to by one of those "helmetless" headsets, what are your alternatives? Can you somehow use a mic and cord like the police use ot use? Would the CB transmit trough the speakers and still be able to talk using theis type of setup? Would it even hook up to the RSV system?? If so, where would one look for such a setup??? I would think someone from one of the states where they don't have helmet laws could answer this pretty quick. Well???I know, I know, more than 1 question!!

all you need is a pinout of the connector. there's one here on the site somewhere and could use about any microphone you wanted. You wouldn't need one with a PTT on it because the PTT is already mounted on the left handlebar. I believe you'd only need 2 wires, but I could be wrong.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26770&highlight=headset+pinout

Found it, looks like you'd need Pins 1 and 4.

The CB on the second gen will direct output to speakers, no problem. The mic is another animal. Someone makes a hand-held mic for a harley, but harley uses a different connector from the metrics. Maybe somebody else here knows how to adapt one. I would think one obstacle would be the handlebar mounted PTT button that would have to be re-routed through the PTT button on the hand held mic.

http://noisecancelingheadphones.tk/product/0/Cobra-EXTERNAL-NOISE-CANCELING-CA-M29BT-EXT/

This might work. You'd have to cut off the connector and adapt it to use the #1 and #4 pin on the headset connector. Just clip this to your jacket or shirt collar and you would then still be able to use the PTT on the left handlebar.

There are plenty of 5 pin DIN connectors on ebay selling for around $1 that you could solder onto the cord.

Yes it will, but like mentioned finding a Mic is a trick some times. J&M use to have them and I see them show up now and then on an GL1800 classified board. They aren't cheap either. I seem to remember a number of like $175 +- :puzzled: