IGNORED

Need advise on ...

jrcain32

Valve shims. I am about to undertake my first valve adjustment and I need to know if I need to buy a complete valve shim kit or individual shims. If individual, what thickness and how many? I know it's hard to tell without checking the old ones but what is the most common sizes? If I'm not mistaken it's possible I could need 16 new shims, not likely but possible. Where is the best place to get them? I need this info ASAP so I can get the shims on the way. Thanks for any help...

There is really no way to answer that until you open it up and gauge every valve. You might need one....or four.....or eight......ya never know. You might not need any.

There is an spread sheet floating around here on the site that would help you determine the needed shims as you check them. Maybe somebody can point you to that.

There is also a floating shim kit out there that is a loaner to members.

Don't forget.....you will need the shim adjustment tool also.

Some dealer have a shim exchange program. That helps with the costs of replacements.

Sorry if that isn't very helpful but without knowing if there is any wear and how much....there just isn't a good answer for ya.

Most of us have used a loaner kit or are about to use a loaner kit, such as myself. I found the best price for shims here: http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=YPEN1B I visited every thread on this website to make myself ready for this task and by far, as usual IMO, V7Goose has the best write up http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38545 So read, and then read some more!!

Good luck!

There is an spread sheet floating around here on the site that would help you determine the needed shims as you check them. Maybe somebody can point you to that.

attached...you can put in your own info...if you know MSExcel.

I forget if I have the cylinder numbers labeled correctly.

Below is a link to a thread that has another excel spreadsheet for valves in it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43410

This one will calculate the size shim needed based upon the measured clearance measured and the shim in place. There is one sheet for metric measurements and another for inches measurements.

It will give a no shim needed message if within specification. But in most cases you probably wouldn't pull the shim out to see what it was if it measured OK. I did this for when I had motor setting on bench and I knew what each shim was in the heads.

It will give you two options for a shim in most cases. One will be ending '0' or '5'. This is the only ones I have found that you can order. Second one will be in the '2' or '8' range. These ranges are installed in the bikes from the factory and may be available as a replacement.

Note that if you have VMax heads installed, this chart is not the correct one to use. VMax exhaust valves have a different clearance spec than Ventures. I have another sheet for the VMax's if needed by anyone.

Cell ranges are protected in the sheet on line to help users enter info. Only the fields that require data to be input are accessible, this prevents deleting the underlying formulas. and getting bad outputs.

If anyone wants an unlocked version, PM and I will send it to you.

Gary