IGNORED

96 Royal Tranny Issue

I just got back from a ride, and lost all gears above 2nd

On downshift...heard a terrible sound (clutch was in etc)...

was able to get it in to 1st, can shift to second... can not shift in to 3rd.... stops at second gear.

Limped it home... 1st and second no problem... like I only have 2 gears.

HELP... andy suggestions on where or what ... I'm thinking the gears in the tranny went...

What would fit... upgrade to Vmax ?

Bummed...

I'm not the guy to talk to on this but it sounds like a common problem with the pins on the shift rod.

If a pin bends or comes loose you can not shift to a gear higher than the pin that failed.

May not be as bad as you think.

Somebody with more info should be popping in soon.

Good luck.

Mike

Thanks!

I certainly does sounsd like the issue i am describing.

Any idea what time is involved with this change? Would like to estimate what a mechanic would charge to execute this job.

What needs to be done to find a part if it sheared off? (not sure if it did, just ant to know what i'm in for)

ALSO... what else should be upgraded while i have the patient open?

Thanks!

love this forum!

The same thing happened to my 96 a few years back....let me see, that would be six years ago now. Up here it was just under $400 to get it done. Two of the wishbones fell off...took a while to find one of them, the other was easy. Has run just fine ever since.

gunk:banana:

• 3 weeks later...

I had the problem of the shifter not shifting past third gear and also the shifter would not return to its normal position between shifts (it stayed up or down depending on which way you shifted and you had to manually push it back to its middle position). Saw the posts on here about the shifter segment pins and removed the cover and sure enough the 4th pin in the sequence was missing and the side plate tab over that pin was pushed out just enough to allow the pin to sneak out of the shifter.

Ordered replacement parts and replaced the shifter segment and the pins. Checked the shifter shaft and the springs on the shifter linkages and everything appeared to us to be working properly. Put the shifter shaft back in and reconnected everything and put the cover back on.

On the test ride the bike will now shift through all five gears again but the shifter is still not relocating freely back to its normal position between shifts. Its stiff like sommething is in a bind.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Im getting frustrated and my riding buddy wants to get my tour classic out of his garage!:95: