IGNORED

Theft? Securing windshield and backrest?

Being a new (to me) 06 RSTD owner, was wondering how others handle traveling with the bikes quick release components.

Wife and I have taken several overnight trips recently, and we always pull the windshield and backrest at the end of the day and take to our room. No biggee really except we're pretty spontaneous which usually results in an upstairs room. The dang organized folks get the first level.

Anyone have theft problems with these items when on the road or public parked?

Any creative locking solutions?

I got a Scorpio alarm for my RSTD. The i900. I wasn't so much worried about the windscreen and back rest being stole, but more so the entire bike and saddle bag contents. So this alarm has a motion sensor and a tilt sensor with a pager which notifies me if someone is up to no good. It also has an anti theft ignition kill to prevent them from starting the bike. Also has a voltmeter in the pager to keep an eye on the battery, cool feature. Some other neat features as well..

The only way for someone to take my bike is if they try to roll her away. But as well all know, that's pretty tough to do with this heavy dog. And they will have only a few moments to try since my pager has notified me as soon as they get within 2 ft from the bike.

I'm not a salesmen, I just get paranoid sometimes.

http://www.scorpioalarms.com/

Guest scarylarry
Buy a cheap lite cover on ebay, covers the whole bike, no one knows that the windsheild comes off, also keeps your seat dry and keeps the bike clean. I always cover my bike when I travel:080402gudl_prv: Craig

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Try taking a few of the bolts to the hardware store and replacing them with unusual fasteners like a torx with the center pin or the 4 sided internal square drive fasteners. This won't keep you from removing these items for maintenance, but would keep your average "crack-head" from running off with your windshield or backrest. Because of the downturn in the economy, people are stealing some pretty strange things lately. :confused24:

Earl

Earl, Good advice, but the 05 and up RSTD windshield and back rest come off with out tools. Just levers, come off in less than a minute.

I personally don't worry about it. When we rode to indy, all the hotels on the way let us park up front under the canopy. Your bike is insured right?

RSTDdog

Yes, Insured.

I don't really worry too much about it, just interested how the other RSTD owners deal with it.

Dave, thanks for the link.

The cover is another good option.

Removing the items to our room hasn't been much of a problem. Minor inconvenience for the peace of mind we get.

With the shield in the room, it gives my wife time to clean it up! :thumbsup2:

Looked at several alarm systems. My luck would have the alarm failsafe on me while I'm somewhere out of town and I wouldn't be able to start the bike, lol.

Trip planned for the end of October to the Eureka Springs, AR area. Booked late as usual and got an upstairs room!!

Thanks, ride safe