I have a very small "weep hole"(maybe 1/16in.) on each side of my exhaust pipes probably located just below the passenger foot rest---are these factory or do you suppose someone added them ------Thanx........................Larry

Factory holes, on the oem mufflers.

Great question titansedriver thanks.

I know a hole in automotive exhausts will cause a popping back fire when you let off the gas and thats one problem I'm having with my 87.

I thought I found the problem with these holes but they did look too uniform to be a coincidence so not the problem I guess, I'll have to look elswere.

Thanks Pete

Car mufflers also usually have a small weep hole. Water is a by product of good combustion and it will settle in the mufflers until they are warm enough to keep it vaporized. Popping in the exhaust on deceleration can be caused by a faulty valve in the AIR system. Or a major exhaust leak you should be able to hear. Do you get the popping from one side or both?

Mike

I have a very small "weep hole"(maybe 1/16in.) on each side of my exhaust pipes probably located just below the passenger foot rest---are these factory or do you suppose someone added them ------Thanx........................Larry

Hey Larry - I noticed the same holes when I was checking out my 88 VR. Thought they were signs of old mufflers going bad. Mentioned that to the owner and he reduced his asking price for the bike. After I bought teh bike, I asked and got similar info as you are now getting.

Great Forum!!