IGNORED

Fork You Too!

Guest HotMech

Guest HotMech

Well, got the Fork seals replaced last week.

Not too hard to do, no surprises there.

Manual says you need to remove the fairing...

I say, No you don't. Just need a couple of special tools, and tada, no fairing removal or handlebars either. did the whole job in about two hours. including cleanup

It looked like the oil had never been changed, ever. yuck.

So I did Guide, and Slide bushings too.

Some new sae 10 Yamalube, and it's all set for another 20 years, hehe, well maybe 5.

Anyway, next up, Ride the damn thing.

If any one is interested, I'll share my tips for non fairing removal.

Oh ya, Found the key code, and had new keys made too. No cheap copies.

Key code was easier to find than one might think, but that's for another Thread

Later,

Kerry

• 3 months later...

Hey Hotmech,

Just wondering, I assume that you did pull the caps off to fill the tubes with fork oil. If not howjyaduit? I have mine tore apart waiting on the parts. I didn't have to take my fairing or bars off either, but I'm not sure how to refill the forks without pulling the caps off the upper tubes. Fill me in would ya! Thanks

Zane

1990 VR

Edited by Zane
Spelling

Don't need to remove fairings to get forks out.

Pretty darn hard to refill without removing the caps. I suppose you could invert them and force it through them tiny holes on the bottom........ Really easier to remove the cap.

Normally loosen the fork clamp on the upper tree, break fork cap loose. Then loosen the lower tree. That way the lower clamp holds the tube from turning.

If you're having trouble getting the cap loose, stick the fork back in the lower tree and clamp it.

When you take them out through them tiny holes in the bottom do you screw the springs clockwise or counter-clockwise? Der-r-r-r! I just hadda ask! Referring to what he said about not having to remove the handlebars. I know you have to move them out of the way. Thanks Carl, BTW where do you get the map of the travelled states? I've been in quite a few and would like to have that on my posts too.

Edited by Zane