IGNORED

Dunlop Elite 3 Flat Repair

GaThumper

I pulled in to the driveway Friday and felt the rear end wobble and within 50-75 feet I could tell I was getting a flat and stopped and checked to find the rear tire was flat. It's a new Dunlop Elite 3 with maybe 500 miles on it.

I walked the mile down the driveway and got my portable air tank and went to the tire store and aired it up. Got my wife to follow me down the driveway and that was a good move. When I aired it up I could hear a big leak and felt around with my hand and found a nice stream of air in the center of the tread.

I was only able to go about 1 minute before I could feel it getting loose again. I dind't want to ride it flat at all, so I aired it up and rode it and aired it up three more times to get back to my house.

I have a gravel driveway and no place to jack it up safely, so I'll be trailering her down to Ken's Discount Tires in Woodstock Ga where I bought the tires. Kens is a mom and pop motorcycle tire store and besides being really nice, they seem to know their business.

I've got an appointment Friday afternoon and they are recommending a tube be installed. I know I've read some who have plugged their tires and had no problems, and I've always chosen to have my AUTO tires removed from the wheel and patched on the inside. This is what I expected on the Venture.

Do you think a tube is the way to go? I'm thinking he will patch the hole in addition to installing a tube. Maybe I could take it somewhere else and get it patched if that's a better repair. I just want to choose the best possible repair.

Thanks!

James

I would not run a tube inside a tubeless tire and tubeless wheel.

I would patch/plug it from the inside and keep riding.

Im running on a patched front tire right now given to me by another member who was not comfortable riding on a repaired tire.

http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/20097/China_patch_plug20097171653111.jpg

I know I have seen a lot of discussion on this in the past and it seems that some are fine with running a patched tire and some won't.

I am not comfortable running on a patched tire. At least not longer than I would have to. It may be low risk but it is certainly high impact. I think that I would be more comfortable if I didn't ride 2-up so much; not because of the extra weight but because of the fact that if something were to happen and my passenger gets injured I would feel 110% responsible especially if it was related to that particular tire. Again, that is just me; you and anyone else can do whatever you want it is your decision, not mine.

I have an Avon on the rear that is about ready to be changed.(around 14,000miles) I had about 50-75 miles on it when I found a screw right in the middle of the tread. I took the tire off and patched it from the inside. First a small patch and then another larger one over the top of that. I've not had one problem with it. I'm not real fond of a plug but a patch on the inside, IMHO, will work just great for you.

Thanks for the replys! I just found this on the Dunlop Tire web site. I'm going to talk to the tire store tomorrow about it.

Fron the Dunlop tire web site...

Some punctures in motorcycle tires can be repaired if no other damage is present. Dunlop recommends only individual permanent plug-patch repairs of small tread area punctures from within the demounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an innertube as a substitute for a proper repair. Your bike should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after the repair and the repaired tire should never be used over 80 mph. Dunlop speed ratings are voided by repairs.

No form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by the penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair that may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by the penetrating object. Reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident.

I would not run a tube inside a tubeless tire and tubeless wheel.

I would patch/plug it from the inside and keep riding.

Im running on a patched front tire right now given to me by another member who was not comfortable riding on a repaired tire.

http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/20097/China_patch_plug20097171653111.jpg

That is the proper fix right there.:thumbsup2:

If I'm out far from home I have a small electric motorcycle air pump and tire plugs. so if by chance something went flat I would have a back up plan to get me some where down the road, as for me i always patched my tires, I worked with tires for over 25yrs and never had a problem with mine, but some folks hate the idea of a patch due to the bike only having two tires. The only time i replace a good tire is if the hole is near or on the side wall area then I trash it, or if the hole is so big it separated the cords then i trash it again. But for a simple tire patch I have no worries but each to his own.

On my RSV I have "Ride-On" installed in both tires just in case I do get a leak it will help slow it down or seal it off all together, If the leak turns out to be in the sidewall then your tire is toast....

Everyone has their own opinion and I'm not against it either but when comes to patches It does not bother me one bit.

Found a thread on this company who makes plug patches, I'll have to talk to Ken tomorrow and see what he's got. The hole is in the center of the tread, so unless it's damaged badly I'm thinking patch it from the inside with a plug/patch. This was from a BMW Z3 web site where they said this was the only "z" rated plug patch they could find.

http://www.techtirerepairs.com/

I guess this is the plug/patch.

http://www.techtirerepairs.com/Catalog/ItemList.aspx?SalesSubGroup=MR050&family=MR&salesGroup=MR05

Thanks Again!

James

http://www.timgilles.com/photogallery/13.60aplugpatchcombo.jpg

Most auto parts stores carry the plug patch. easy to install as well. As for the "Z" rated patch, well I don't think I'll be going over 130mph on my Venture any time soon so a regular car tire plug patch will do just fine. As long as its installed the right way the patch will out last the tire...

....a flat ....a new Dunlop Elite 3 with maybe 500 miles on it.

......Ken's Discount Tires in Woodstock Ga where I bought the tires. Kens is a mom and pop motorcycle tire store and besides being really nice, they seem to know their business.... James

James,

I ran over something on the freeway last year, early June, approximately 500 miles on a new E3 as well. Plugged it on the side of the road .. over 12,000 miles later I'm still running that tire.

RE Ken's .. I used them when we lived in Acworth back in 99/00. Good shop! My only suggestion, take your bags off yourself before you take the bike in. He's probably worked on a few Ventures since then, but back then he stripped out two of the mounting positions on one of the bags on our 99.

Curt

Talked to Ken this morning and he said he wouldn't patch or plug the tire. He did offer to call Dunlop and talk to them about it. I'm sure it's a liability issue and I can't blame him. He said if Dunlop advises not to install the tube then he can't repair it at all. Then I guess I can get it repaired somewhere else or buy a new tire.

I can't blame the tire maker or tire stores for always saying replace and never repair, but I have repaired car tires for many decades, and never had a failure. I once was at an autocross with my '89 SHO, and got a nail in a BFG R1 race tire. Someone put a plug in it, I aired it up and went on with the event, planning on replacing the tire at some point, it was on the back. But I forgot about it and for 10 YEARS used that tire rotating it to every corner of the car, at speeds up to 120 mph on real race tracks. These tires were heat treated by the Tire Rack, and I tend to do 15 minute sessions and don't do sliding turns, try to drive right. These tires never wore out, the plug was still good a decade later, and I finally replaced the tires just because I wanted a stickier tire, they were still better than street tires.

Another story, in the late 60's I was a student in college and a friend of mine had a dad that ran a Standard Oil gas station. We were there goofing off one day when a salesman came in selling tire plug kits, the type with the goopy threaded stuff that you stuck into the hole after dipping it in glue. HE had HUNDREDS of plugs in the SIDEWALL of the tire on the Left Front of his car. Really! He made his sale, then hopped in his car and was back on the interstate at 70 mph. Never heard from him again, so I hope he lived.

:rotf:

Use your best judgement, and if money is no object, replace the tire, but if the hole is not big, and damage is minimal, and you use a good repair, then I myself would plug it, even from the outside. YMMV.

I had a new E3 on the rear of my Virago. 1/2" roofing nail in the tread area within 3000 miles of new, the nail was an effective plug while in place I tried Ride-on by their instructions and it would not seal. So, I was about 3 miles from home, I put the nail back in the hole and then proceeded home at a snail's pace.

I found the Dyna Plugs on line and read up on them. I went to harbor freight and bought the Dyna Plugs and rode it that way for 10k miles. The rear maintained its air pressure as well or better than the front which did not have any repairs.

You could breakdown the tire and inspect the carcass and then install the Dyna Plug, with a 1/2" roofing nail it was not possible to have carcass damage other than the hole which was plugged.

The Dyna Plugs have a vulcanizing agent on them and the repair is solid.

As stated earlier, YMMV. :080402gudl_prv:

Thanks for the replys! I just found this on the Dunlop Tire web site. I'm going to talk to the tire store tomorrow about it.

Fron the Dunlop tire web site...

Some punctures in motorcycle tires can be repaired if no other damage is present. Dunlop recommends only individual permanent plug-patch repairs of small tread area punctures from within the demounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an innertube as a substitute for a proper repair. Your bike should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after the repair and the repaired tire should never be used over 80 mph. Dunlop speed ratings are voided by repairs.

No form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by the penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair that may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by the penetrating object. Reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident.

Good information, thanks for posting it. Was the failure caused by a foreign object penetrating the tire or tire failure. I'm interested in know since I too recently mounted an Elite III on the rear.

I pulled in to the driveway Friday and felt the rear end wobble and within 50-75 feet I could tell I was getting a flat and stopped and checked to find the rear tire was flat. It's a new Dunlop Elite 3 with maybe 500 miles on it.

I walked the mile down the driveway and got my portable air tank and went to the tire store and aired it up. Got my wife to follow me down the driveway and that was a good move. When I aired it up I could hear a big leak and felt around with my hand and found a nice stream of air in the center of the tread.

I was only able to go about 1 minute before I could feel it getting loose again. I dind't want to ride it flat at all, so I aired it up and rode it and aired it up three more times to get back to my house.

I have a gravel driveway and no place to jack it up safely, so I'll be trailering her down to Ken's Discount Tires in Woodstock Ga where I bought the tires. Kens is a mom and pop motorcycle tire store and besides being really nice, they seem to know their business.

I've got an appointment Friday afternoon and they are recommending a tube be installed. I know I've read some who have plugged their tires and had no problems, and I've always chosen to have my AUTO tires removed from the wheel and patched on the inside. This is what I expected on the Venture.

Do you think a tube is the way to go? I'm thinking he will patch the hole in addition to installing a tube. Maybe I could take it somewhere else and get it patched if that's a better repair. I just want to choose the best possible repair.

Thanks!

James

Wow, your driveway is a mile long. You must live on a big chunk of land. Do you need any help manageing the deer population on your property if so send me a message.

Thanks for all the replys! Ken called Dunlop and talked to them about the Elite three and the specific application on the Venture. They advised him to use a plug patch and install a tube if necessary. They said there was no reason not to use a tube despite the information on their web site to the contrary.

I'll probably call Rider's Hill tomorrow and talk to them to get another opinion, but I think I'm going to go with Dunlop's recommendation and just let Ken decide whether he wants to install a tube. I'm about ready to just buy a new tire and not worry about it. The price of a tire is really not too much for peace of mind.

Thanks!

James