I m rebuilding the forks on a 1990 Venture Royal. The plate seat came out. My question is there is a rubber ring that appears to bonded to the the plate seat is this necessary to have the rubber on it since fluid can get around it any way or do I need a whole new plate seat cause the rubber ring is important? Please look at the pictures Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious no one ever talks about the plate seat in the bottom of the forks look at pics in my first post. I found mine on both sides to have the rubber gasket torn. Do they need these gaskets to perform correctly? I also am not able to seat the large bolt in the bottom of the fork even when pressing down hard. It seems like the bolt is not even engaging the spindle.

Just last weekend, I replaced my fork seals, had my forks all apart and never saw anything that looked like that. I used a tech article from Venturers and a tech article from Ventureriders. The one from here had great pictures and still never saw what you have the picture of.

Check out the tech section. Maybe it will have your answer.

Steve

I just ordered new ones. These plate seats are at the bottom of the fork (inside) the very bottom bolt which goes up through the the bottom of the fork actually goes through it. I wonder if they have something to do with the damper controlling oil flow somehow. Yes I got the progressives already I like they way they ride.

• 11 years later...

My seat plates fell out as well, but the rubber seal around the top is still in good shape. Do you have any techniques for re-installation? Is it just a matter of fishing it into the bottom of the fork and gently pressing it into place with a broom handle or something similar?

Edited by Bob K.

• 3 weeks later...

For archive's sake, I discovered that the seat plate is a snug fit inside the outer fork tube. I coated it with a little bit of fork oil and then used a 1" dowel to push it down to the bottom of the outer fork tube. It went in easy and square.

I just ordered new ones. These plate seats are at the bottom of the fork (inside) the very bottom bolt which goes up through the the bottom of the fork actually goes through it. I wonder if they have something to do with the damper controlling oil flow somehow. Yes I got the progressives already I like they way they ride.

May I ask who you ordered the plate, seat from?