IGNORED

"89 Starter Relay ???

Hey, guys, the manual says to pull the R side faring to get to the relay, I don't see anything that looks like a relay.

Can someone tell me where that crazy relay is located? :puzzled:

When I push the starter button I hear a repeated clicking (solenoid ?), but starter doesn't do a thing. Battery tests out high side on green scale, after a 45 sec load test it is about 80% on green scale. :think::think::think:

Monday I went into work early to run some erronds, first 2 times it started like NEW, then it just clicked once and nothing, 4th time I tried to start it, I had to push. Last 2 times it pulled the volt meter down to O, even without hitting the starter button, the meter stayed on O ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I don't get off work again until next Thursday so may not reply till weekend or Thurs.

Thankx,

Gary C

The starter SOLENOID is to the left of the battery, hidden under the edge of the fairing... round job with those HEAVY cables going to it... one from the battery and one down to the starter... If you were to pull the battery box... it's mounted on the left side... two flat ears on the battery box go into two slots in the rubber mount that holds the solenoid.

Monday I went into work early to run some erronds, first 2 times it started like NEW, then it just clicked once and nothing, 4th time I tried to start it, I had to push. Last 2 times it pulled the volt meter down to O, even without hitting the starter button, the meter stayed on O ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I don't get off work again until next Thursday so may not reply till weekend or Thurs.

Thankx,

Gary C

You might want to check your battery cable connections. A dirty cable connection can cause the symptoms you describe.

DJ

The heavy posts on the relay need the SAME attention... clean 'em up and then make sure they are tight.

Mine weren't all that pretty when mine died. Oh, it went "click" like a champ... just nothing else happened.

It had been a "hesitant" starter before and with a new solenoid it was EVER so happy to spin up, hot or cold.

Here's the OLD guts...

http://bergall.org/temp/venture/solenoid.jpg

I replaced my friends '88 starter solenoid with the old style Ford remote starter relay for car engines pulling about 200 amps. It should never go out on him again. Cheap too any auto supply. Just not much room on left side of battery.

New ones from Yamaha are $52. yikes!

I had it laying around for years. NOS. They used to be under $20. Bought it when my crappy GM starters (with internal solenoids) got hot, no start. Finally got a starter that would start hot. Don't know why I put up with GM and Fords so long. Accord is 2 years old and NEVER been in the shop.

• 5 years later...