IGNORED

Trunk recall on 1999 RSV

:sign67:Does anyone have a copy of the recall on the lower trunk for the RSV? I believe it covered 1999, 2000, maybe even 2001.:scratchchin: One of our new members(KinkyWinks) that just lives down the street from me bought a 1999 RSV. I know it will be a long shot at best to get Yamaha to do anything about this since it's long out of warranty. But if he has the bulletin number or copy of the offical recall. He might get lucky. Thanks in advance for any help on this subject. Charles

Charles,

You should be able to go to the dealer with your VIN # and they can look it up with Yamaha and see if it was done. I believe it was a service bulliten. They will order a new one for you. You can either have them put it on, or you can do it yourself. It is only for the bottom half of the trunk.

Good Luck.

FYI a recall is a required fix and they will fix it regardless of warranty.

Wasn't a recall it was a Technical Service Bulletin. Probably so they didn't have to fix more than they had to.

Honestly, if the trunk isn't cracked, the parts themselves are less than $20 to $25 if you get them from on-line sources.

Okay, just looked and turns out the rubber plate is $.075,the metal plate is $1.27 and $1.24 (two differnt parts and numbers), and if you want to get new screws they are $.075. So not an expensive fix but only if the trunk isn't already cracked.

Wasn't a recall it was a Technical Service Bulletin. Probably so they didn't have to fix more than they had to.

Honestly, if the trunk isn't cracked, the parts themselves are less than $20 to $25 if you get them from on-line sources.

Okay, just looked and turns out the rubber plate is $.075,the metal plate is $1.27 and $1.24 (two different parts and numbers), and if you want to get new screws they are $.075. So not an expensive fix but only if the trunk isn't already cracked.

Unfortunately his trunk actually has chunks missing on the bottom where it's suppose to bolt on. He did come up with a pretty good fix. He cut out a plate of aluminum to fit the bottom of the trunk and plans to cut one to fit on the inside. The biggest problem with the trunk is the custom paint job, plus it has a built in brake light. I put a picture of the bike below that I took last year at a Metric show the local dealer was having. You can see where the previous owner put the turn signals in the faring. He also did the same to the rear end. By putting the a brake light and turn signal in each saddle bag and a 3rd brake light in the trunk he was able to get rid of the original turn signals & brake light. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the back side. I'll try to remember to take the camera with me the next time I go by his house, and get a shot of the rear. Pretty cool how it's done.

Nice paint job. Problem is, if the dealer were able to do something for you, it still wouldn't match his paint job.

On the positive side here's what happened to me when I bought my 99 last Oct.

The guy had cracks in the trunk. I asked him if he'd mind taking it into the shop to see if Yamaha would replace it under warranty. He took it in and they took photos of it and sent them to Yamaha. Yamaha agreed to the fix. When he took it in to have the trunk replaced the guy at the dealership said that Yamaha contacted him and said it shouldn't be done under warranty but, since they had already said that they would, they went ahead and did the fix anyway.

When they guy took this bike in he didn't have any paperwork that I'm aware of so if you have the service bulletin you're, at least, ahead of where he was when he took this bike in.

So, you might get lucky, you might not.

Good luck! Hope it works out for your buddy.