IGNORED

Rear Speaker MONO Incorrect..

Pilot

I'm not sure on any bike but my 07 if yours is not like mine then I don't know what to Tell you, but my rear speakers are Stereo.

I got bored again so I decided to take a look at the rear speakers again. Now if you look at the wiring diagram for the audio circuit you will notice that they only show one rear speaker along with the two front speakers. It struck me funny that anyone would build a stereo amplifier for the two front speakers but only incorporate a mono circuit for the rear two speakers. So I decided to tear the MCU apart and take a look at this to see If it was possible to add another rear output. Well I know what your thinking, why would someone tear their MCU apart. Well I didn’t need to because while tracing the wiring for my rear speakers on my 07 RSV I discovered that it has two outputs for the rear speakers (a left channel and a right channel). That’s correct the 07 has stereo rear speakers. I don’t know about any other 2nd Gen but I would think they are all the same but I don’t know for sure. I traced the wires from the MCU to the front and rear speakers and I have attached a diagram showing the wire colors. I have also attached a few pictures showing the 18 pin MCU connector in the front fairing ( all four speaker wires run through this connector) and the two speaker connectors (one for the left rear and one for the right rear) under the passenger seat. I then made an MP3 file with sound on the right side and then sound on the left side to test what I found and even though you get some sound in the right rear speaker when there is no input for the right rear it is minimal and I think it’s just feed through from the MCU. The same is true for the left rear speakers. What you hear in the front speakers is what you get in the rear speakers if it’s stereo in the front it’s stereo in the rear. I was under the impression that the rear was mono, not true in my case on the 07.

wire color code:

Left Front Speaker ------Red/white +

Left Front Speaker-------Gray -

Right Front Speaker------Red/Black +

Right Front Speaker------Blue/Black -

Left Rear Speaker--------Red +

Left Rear Speaker--------Brown -

Right Rear Speaker-------Red/Yellow with a gray Strip +

Right Rear Speaker-------Brown/Black -

Am I wrong?

That was really nice of you to do that.

I remember reading somewhere somebody saying the rear speakers where

mono but don't remember what thread it in.

Good job and thank you.

The color code will come in handy.

You don't by chance know which wires are the CB or radio antenna wires???

I don't remember which side there on left or right as I set on the bike..........................Ron

What or who gave you the impression that the rear speakers were mono............?

Well a couple of things did. I was getting ready to replace the cassette with an equalizer and was looking at the bikes wiring diagram which only shows 1 rear speaker. The other was freebirds thread on "Replacing Cassette Player with Equalizer" found here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=610 which stated the rear was mono.

I was installing new wires as per the thread and when I removed the rear seat I didn't see how the wires for the right rear speaker went from the right to the left speaker so I took the left speaker pod apart and discovered that the wires went to a different plug. That started a wire trace and I ended up discovering that I was wrong in assuming the rear was mono.

I'm wondering now if earlier model bikes were mono? :confused: Freebird if the rear speakers are mono on some bikes and stereo on others can you change your thread to say this so as not to confuse people like me? :confused24: Maybe you can add the wiring color code and the picture of the 18 pin MCU connector to your thread.

At least we now know the color code for both rear speakers. I changed my wiring diagram to reflect this.

Ohh well on to the project for installing an ejection seat for the passenger.:rotf::rotf::rotf:

That was really nice of you to do that.

I remember reading somewhere somebody saying the rear speakers where

mono but don't remember what thread it in.

Good job and thank you.

The color code will come in handy.

You don't by chance know which wires are the CB or radio antenna wires???

I don't remember which side there on left or right as I set on the bike..........................Ron

The antenna wire for the CB goes to the CB. Standing in front of the bike the radio antenna can be found to the left of the MCU in the group of plugs that come out of the MCU. Look for a small coax wire, it also has a plug.