IGNORED

O-ring failure in oil system.

As part of the tear down on looking for the engine rattle, I found an o-ring that was broken and looked like a worm sticking out. I mentioned this in my post and Squeeze was nice enough to post some very interesting information that was taken from a V-Max site, but the 1st gen Venture was mentioned a lot. Mine was just like in the pictures, except mine was not bulged out, but broken.

There is a lot of information about the cause of this, such as the design, not warming the bike good before reaching RPM's above 3000 and running oil that is too thick. I have probably done all of this.

The link that Squeeze provided is:

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/vmaxoilring.htm

RandyA

Jimbob, I thought this was pretty interesting also.

Well, I tried something a little different than what I saw suggested. With some safety wire I had left over from my Air Force days, I looped it around the pipe and the bridge like area below the pipe. I looped it twice and twisted it tight, then looped the wires once more around the pipe and twisted it one more time. This appears to be tight enough to slightly pull down on the tube, but allow enough flexibility to allow the pipe to be able to center the o-ring or flex a slight amount if needed as noted in the article.

If you read the articles, it is stated that the o-ring does not extend very far down into the hole. This is very true and if you look at the pictures, the bottom of the pipe is bottomed and you can easily see the o-ring. The other problem is the way this pipe is made, it can be pulled up a little bit by hand if you pull at the elbow, so it would not take a lot of oil pressure to displace the 0-ring. I believe with looping the safety wire around the pipe to hold it down, I have the outward motion controlled and still have some flexibility. Squeeze what do you you think about that?

I would have taken pictures, but the digital camera is on vacation with the kids.

RandyA

Hi Randy,

i can imagine perfectly what you described and this is, imho, a quick and good Solution.

I wouldn't say that this the best Solution, but it's cheap and simple enough to make it in my personal Top 3 in curing this Dilemma. If the Wire you used is a special Wire, made for such Purpose, there is a good chance that you will find it in eight Years from now on as you left it today. Other than such Kind of Wires, i wouldn't trust for more than Months.

As for the Problem itself, as i wrote in the Thread, it is a known Problem and before Randy did unveil it at his Engine, i thought this was known by almost everybody who owns such a V4 and i never thougt of mentioning it, because that would bring on nothing new.

and to make my Toughts clear:

Yes, there is a Problem, more or less 90 Percent of the Vmax-Engines opened for Research did have the O-Ring out of Place

Yes, the Design of all the other Engines are the same

Maybe, the Parts are improved on the 2Gen's

Yes, if the O-Ring is out of Place, there is a substancial Loss in Oilpressure and Oilflow, the more the Oil is hot, the more those Losses add up

Yes, i think this could make a Motor going bad or, at least if there is another Culprit, this O-Ring Problem doesn't help either

No, i don't think it's Time to panic

Yes, if you're working near the Oilpan, i would undo it be prepared to check and cure the Problem

Again Squeeze, thanks for all the information. I am fairly familar with these V4 engines and I had never seen anything related to the o-ring problem. This was all new to me.

Yes, the safety wire I used was the offical wire used on USAF jet engines. So it is probably pretty good. In fact, the government probably paid a dollar a foot or more for it.

I am planning on checking valve clearances tomorrow and may try to start putting it back in. My problem is my son and grandson are off on vacation till about Sunday.

RandyA

• 1 month later...

Randy, did you see my last post?

I have my oilpan off but don't see an obvious problem. haven't pulled the pipe as of yet. If the Hurricane remenance will leave, i'll pull it Saturday and probably start on my frame change. I got the title today.

I'm intrested in any info on hard, klunky shifting...........Anybody?

Randy

Did you also have "stiff" shifting. Mine has started to get stiff and it "klunks" when i shift. wonder if this may be my problem.

I also heve a slight knocking noise at idle, it goes away at speed.

I really did not have any shifting problems after I did the undercut on 2nd gear. I was beginning to have some gear rattle at idle when the bike was leaned over on the side stand. It appears the changeover to the 86 gearset has eliminated the rattle.

RandyA