IGNORED

Space Shuttle Endeavour

CaptainJoe

Was reading posts about meet and eats and it struck me that Sleeperhawks Feb 26,2011 11:00 am meet at QuakerState would fit in nicely with my run to watch the "Last Scheduled" launch of the space shuttle Endeavour on 2/27/2011 3:35 PM.

it's just 522 miles away from Greenville, SC.

So if one traveled at least 6 hrs (300 mile) after the M&E Saturday, they would be within a 4 hour (200 mile) ride to the launch site.

Anyone else interested?

:superman:

progress.gif

Edited by CaptainJoe
to satisfy BuddyRich :-)

When I rode to Daytona earlier this year, I saw a Delta rocket was scheduled to launch at about the time I was planning to be there.:cool10:

I thought that would be something to see (better than the zoo at Daytona).:banana:

As I was riding south, I kept checking the schedule. Delayed a day:bang head:, delayed another day:bang head:, delayed another day. :bang head:

I just didn't have enough vacation time to wait around, so I never did see it.:bang head:

Good Luck, And I hope you get to see it!:080402gudl_prv:

Later, Scooter Bob

I've seen 3 space shuttle launches live, and they were all right on time.:photographing:

Was suppose ride down and to see the Discovery lift off last Monday but the carb bowls on my bike started leaking profusely(bad orings), So I'm kind of lucky that way .:scratchchin:

Coinsidence??? I think not!:mo money:Perhaps I should go to Las Vegas! Casssssching!

Worst case scenairo, if, the weather is bad in Florida would be to just attend the meet and eat. Now how bad could that be? Besides I could wait a day or two for the launch, heck I am retired.

If you go past carnival cruise ships and park you can see it just fine. With telephoto lense.

I'm told Jetty Park is also an excellent vantage point.

I am still trying to get causeway tickets for a launch. They will become available after Discovery takes off and lands safely... Thats why I wanted to give everyone a heads up early...

Edited by CaptainJoe
spelling (ten thumbs) :)

I was in Ocala back in 95 and watched one go up at 10 in the evening, didn't want to go down there because of the drive time and having to be at work early the next morning. Oh yeah, the 'skeeters carrying the enchephalitis bug were pretty nasty at the time too!! It was still a site to behold even from that far away!

Was reading posts about meet and eats and it struck me that Sleeperhawks Feb 26,2010 11:00 am meet at QuakerState would fit in nicely with my run to watch the "Last Scheduled" launch of the space shuttle Endeavour on 2/27/2010 3:35 PM.

it's just 522 miles away from Greenville, SC.

progress.gif

progress.gif

I just woke up and I'm a little confused. I know the time changed last night but it was only an hour back RIGHT ?:rotf:

If anyone is close enough and hasn't seen one - it is definitely worth a watch. The next round of US sourced launches that will carry people won't be until 2018 at the earliest (probably more like 2020).

If I was within 12 hours (one way), I'd be there for sure. :thumbsup2:

Don't think skeeters will be a problem that time of year. Also the closer t salt water you are the less skeeters. They breed in fresh water.

Only one way to know for sure...:12101:

This was in August and they had warnings out for them. I don't think at the time I wanted to mess with them, they were bad enough up in Ocala.........

LILBeaver,

To bad its too late to have a pay lottery for the general public to ride on the shuttle? It would definately stimulate public interest in the program and generate much needed funds. And, of course they would have to have minimum physical requirements for the people.

Would I'd play? Lets just say "beam me up Scotty"!

No kidding; I'd be all over that! Of course, if they lift the 20/20 uncorrected vision requirement for the astronaut corps, I'll send my app in. I'd better be done with my edu-ma-cation by the time they start the selection and training process for the next gen. shuttle.

Dano, I went to the east of Lake Okeechobee back in May of this year. The day it rained ...no problem. The next day... well.... that was another story. The black flys were so bad you couldn't see thru your windshield after about 10 miles. Really felt sorry for those without a windshield....Yuk!

LILBEAVER,

Be smart ask NASA, GET IT IN WRITING!:ignore:

Ignore everyone else.............:duck:

Good plan. I think when I get a little closer to graduating - say within 6 months or so and I start applying for jobs I'll contact HR, the recruiter or however the heck that works, and get the requirements as they stand at that point.

:thumbsup2:

I live about 10 mins from the Kennedy Space Center. I use to handle the bomb dog and narcotics dog there before going back into law enforcement. Feb 26 was supposed to have been the last shuttle launch, but I now understand that Congress has aproved one more flight to take off in June. You all might want to check that out. If no one has seen a launch before, it is a sight to see. Just remember after the last one goes, there will be no more. Thanks to the Federal Government.

Ken:95:

I was doing the tourist thing about 4 years ago and saw a launch when I was at Disney Epcot center.

The next day after the launch I was at Kennedy space center.

Pretty cool stuff.

My cousin told me she attended a function where one of the moon walker astronaughts was speaking.

Relating what it was like waiting for the countdown he said " Its pretty sobering to think that you are sitting on top of what is basically a bomb with more power than that dropped on Hiroshima...consisting of hundreds of complex systems, electrical circuits, computers etc.....and it was all supplied by the lowest bidder!