IGNORED

Clutch Stack Up order

hi guys, after the problems I've had with my clutch (twice this year I burnt it out during Advanced Rider courses), I've decided to go back to stock configuration and dropping the PCW mod I had in it since last year.

I have a Barnett Spring kit in it now, but with still the full disc stack up as per the PCW mod only because I could not find my original half discs. So I ordered new ones..

But I can't seem to figure out how this goes back together.

Once I pull off each plate (friction and steel) its the set up for the half plates I'm not seeing properly in the diagrams for some reason.. I believe I have all the correct parts now.. and some spares..

I have these parts

26H-1632101 (half size friction plate)

26H-16384-00 (small steel disc)

1Fk-16383-00 (small steel spring plate..)

and the small spring clip, 26h-16385-00

From what I can see in the parts diagram, the flat plate goes in first then the spring plate, the friction plate fits OVER these (as it is larger in circumference) and the plates get held in by the spring clip.

But which way does the spring plate go in? does the larger edge go against the back of the basket or towards the front? I'm not sure on this one or if it makes a difference..

Luckily, i ended up with three extra clutch cover gaskets =)

Thanks in advance!

ADDENDUM: Oops, MY BAD, it actually says on the spring plate OUT SIDE, to show which side of the plate should face the clutch cover.. silly me..

Cheers

Edited by Seaking

I've taken quite a few of them apart. Just always watched what I did and put them back same. Frogman brought his down for me to help him and I got them mixed up!!! No clutch at all! Embarrassing!! Call to the Squid got me out of that one!!!

I've done that before.. I've actually had to ask my buddy to bring HIS bike over to use as a reference guide.. to take apart and put back together again lol.. egads.. I hate when THAT happens.. lol

Seaking,

The 2 steel shims in 1st then the half friction disc in on the outside of them.

Full steel plate over the top of that assembly

Retaining wire over the steel plate

Assemble with another friction disc andf start your stagger making sure to keep all the friction discs with the dual notches in line with all the others.

Seaking,

The 2 steel shims in 1st then the half friction disc in on the outside of them.

Full steel plate over the top of that assembly

Retaining wire over the steel plate

Assemble with another friction disc andf start your stagger making sure to keep all the friction discs with the dual notches in line with all the others.

When you look at the parts listing, it shows it as you describe, but when you look at the servicing manual, it's not quite 'right' as you describe it.. the servicing manual seems to be missing the thin disc before the spring plate..

Thanks for the heads up

Edited by Seaking

I am not sure what is going on with your bike. I teach the ERC and practice a lot on my MM Venture and have not had a problem with the clutch glazing or overheating. Are you sure you don't have air in the system or other problems? Feel free to email me if you want to discuss off list. Rod

Rod. I took the course a couple years back and burned up the clutch. It still got me home but I noticed when I acelerated hard it would slip. That one cost me $160 bucks. A year later at a rodeo event I managed to do it again but this time I decided to look into it myself and found that it was really only that half disc that was burned. The others were fine so i put in a pcw kit and that was the end of my problems. Of course I wont do another rodeo but I may be willing to take the advance course again and just accept the fact that I'll be replacing the plates.

Well basically what Jack said.. I took the course twice and burnt the clutch out twice.. I've heard of similar stories from other RSV riders, but then again I hear stories of others doing the "Ride Like A Pro" course itself without any ill effects. There is nothing wrong with the bike.. first time I had Rotella oil in the bike, the second time I had Yamalube. And the clutch system is fine, nothing wrong with it. It doesn't like the abuse of slow riding for extended periods of time.

face it, it's a 900 lbs bike with a lot of rider on top doing to the bike what it really isn't designed to do.

I just find it funny when I teach the course and get to the part of explaining the clutch and friction zone how you 'cant burn out a wet clutch on a motorcycle'.. kinda ironic.