IGNORED

Pros & Cons On Front Tire

A narrower front tire helps the bike corner easier and not feel so heavy in a corner. The wider the tire is, the higher a "hill" the bike has to climb over the side of the tire to lean over. I like the narrower front tire and won't go back. I think most here like the narrow front tire, but a few haven't. I guess it's just personal preference.

It has been said on past threads that if you have installed the leveling links that the narrower front tire is overkill. I did both and I think it is overkill. The narrower tire tends to follow grooves in the road more readily and stands to reason because it is more responsive by virtue of the less width. I did the links and the narrow front tire almost simultaneously so I'm not exactly sure which made the most positive difference in the low speed handling. Others have said that if you don't have the leveling links that the change to the narrower tire to have a similar positive effect in low speed handling. I'm getting ready to find out because my new tires have just come in to be installed. I am installing the standard width front tire. I'll let you all know what my experience is pro or con . I bet there are others that have already made this adjustment. I know Don was planning to put the standard front tire back on because to quote him that he felt that it was overkill to do both the leveling links and the narrower front tire. I use the Avon venoms and I don't know if it is a different outcome with different brands with maybe different profiles or rubber compounds. I think I've said enough.:sign brain fart:I'm so confused!

Guest KitCarson
It has been said on past threads that if you have installed the leveling links that the narrower front tire is overkill. I did both and I think it is overkill. The narrower tire tends to follow grooves in the road more readily and stands to reason because it is more responsive by virtue of the less width. I did the links and the narrow front tire almost simultaneously so I'm not exactly sure which made the most positive difference in the low speed handling. Others have said that if you don't have the leveling links that the change to the narrower tire to have a similar positive effect in low speed handling. I'm getting ready to find out because my new tires have just come in to be installed. I am installing the standard width front tire. I'll let you all know what my experience is pro or con . I bet there are others that have already made this adjustment. I know Don was planning to put the standard front tire back on because to quote him that he felt that it was overkill to do both the leveling links and the narrower front tire. I use the Avon venoms and I don't know if it is a different outcome with different brands with maybe different profiles or rubber compounds. I think I've said enough.:sign brain fart:I'm so confused!
Hi James. I do not know much about leveling links......all that stuff. I think each and every bike handles different....even two exact same bikes sitting side by side.......so......I just get used to one and I suppose that is that. But....but.......but!! I watch those tires......as soon as 2/3 of the tread is gone.......I put on a new one....There will be debate as soon as I say this......but the more surface area you can keep on the road with a tire......the better...more traction.......better braking...better everything....Yes just because of that......I would never downsize a tire.

Kit.

Hi James. I do not know much about leveling links......all that stuff. I think each and every bike handles different....even two exact same bikes sitting side by side.......so......I just get used to one and I suppose that is that. But....but.......but!! I watch those tires......as soon as 2/3 of the tread is gone.......I put on a new one....There will be debate as soon as I say this......but the more surface area you can keep on the road with a tire......the better...more traction.......better braking...better everything....Yes just because of that......I would never downsize a tire.

Kit.

Slick tires equal more rubber on the road.:rotfl::rotfl:

Actually I usually run the tires until the cord shows and after I put new tires on I am amazed at how good the bike handles with the new tires.

I think a lot of times the reason we think the brand we just put on is a much better tire is because we have used the old tire beyond it's usable life. You are probably right in changing the tires at the point you do and your ride is probably more consistent.

Jerry

Well I havnt ridden with the narrower front tire but I have ridden with guys that have the narrower front tire and I can turn with as much ease as they can....can cock the wheel all the way either direction and do a great uturn...All I have done was put and keep the Avon Vemons on mine, stock size,...For a brief period I had to put Metz on,(1700 miles and they started chunking rubber) and I could not turn the way I can with the Avons.I also could not handle the bike that well when I had the original tires on it,Dunlop D404s,I hated those tires followed every grove in the road! Just my 2 cents. Tom

On my 05, the stock Brickstones were HORRIBLE and the rear was toast in 8,000 miles. I experimented with Avon Venoms and the MT90 front tire and was very impressed with how much this improved the handling with stock suspension links. After I added the shorter links to raise the rear, I did not like the MT90 and went back to 150/80 in front. I have gotten at least 14,000 out of each Venom rear tire.

I just picked up an 07 RSV with stock suspension and almost new Avon Venoms in stock size. I can tell you that the handling is excellent. I now believe that there is no reason to go to the narrower front tire, even with stock suspension links, if you run Avon Venom tires. The improvement over the stock Brickstones is nothing short of phenomenal. When my 05 was new, with perfect new Brickstone tires, the slow speed handling was miserable. This 07 with stock size Avon tires has wonderful slow speed handling. No other differences between the bikes. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I read the above post a few weeks ago in a different thread. My next front tire will be the Avon Venom in the stock size. I have the leveling links, and currently run the narrow Avon front tire. As my MT90 Avon wears down the bike feels a bit twitchy in the corners when the road is a bit rough. I'm going back to the wider tire to see if it makes a difference. I'll post my results in another 18,000 miles or so.

Generally a wider tire will be better on uneven pavement, rain grooves, bridge gratings and non 90 Degree rail road crossings. Narrow tires will be better around town, slow speed parking lot maneuvers, and in the twistes.

Personally I don't have a problem with the bikes slow speed manners and it is too big to comfortably attack any twisties so I will stick with stock size. I may push the forks up in the triplecrown but have not decided that yet.

Guest DakineVentue

I was sold on the idea of the Avons, but then I had dinner tonight with a motorcycle shop owner and he told me not to do it and go with the Elite III's. I just dont know....