Canada
    MB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My XVZ1200

Has any one ever moved the forks up through the steering head ...Up high enough to install the air fittings above the triple tree on a 1983 XVZ1200

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My XVZ1200

Quote Originally Posted by larrydr View Post
    Has any one ever moved the forks up through the steering head ...Up high enough to install the air fittings above the triple tree on a 1983 XVZ1200
    they used to sell an equalizer kit that fit in the top cap. for some reason they stopped making them, or the company went out of biz?
    it basically had Schroeder valves tapped into the cap.

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a spring clip on the fork that prevents the fork from sliding up any further into the tree. The torque on the clamps of the triple tree is not enough to hold the forks in place, so the spring clip is used. If you remove the clips then the forks will slide higher and if you want to keep them from sliding you'll have to increase the torque on the clamps. Don't have any idea how much.

Nothing in this life
    will
    Get in the way of my future

Canada
    MB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarl View Post
    There is a spring clip on the fork that prevents the fork from sliding up any further into the tree. The torque on the clamps of the triple tree is not enough to hold the forks in place, so the spring clip is used. If you remove the clips then the forks will slide higher and if you want to keep them from sliding you'll have to increase the torque on the clamps. Don't have any idea how much.
    Thanks......
    Would adding a aluminum set of clamps around each fork below the tree do the job

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting the forks exactly to the same length is kind of tricky, a little bit off and you screw up the ride and handling. The spring clips are dead on so you can depend on those to be right, maybe not so much on adhoc measures. Forks are smooth, and not much for any clamp to grab onto and hold through a serious bump or constant bumpering vibration. I would go with the drilling out of the caps and install a valve there.
    Keep in mind also, that if you bring the forks up through the triple tree you will be lowering the whole bike, which will play with the dynamics of the ride and clearance issues with the front fender, ground clearance with the nose cone, oil in the crankcase, braking on the rear wheel,,,,,,,

Nothing in this life
    will
    Get in the way of my future

6. Likes WRIDR liked this post
    Canada
    MB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarl View Post
    Getting the forks exactly to the same length is kind of tricky, a little bit off and you screw up the ride and handling. The spring clips are dead on so you can depend on those to be right, maybe not so much on adhoc measures. Forks are smooth, and not much for any clamp to grab onto and hold through a serious bump or constant bumpering vibration. I would go with the drilling out of the caps and install a valve there.
    Keep in mind also, that if you bring the forks up through the triple tree you will be lowering the whole bike, which will play with the dynamics of the ride and clearance issues with the front fender, ground clearance with the nose cone, oil in the crankcase, braking on the rear wheel,,,,,,,
    Thanks what you are saying makes sense ...There also a saying always simple , but not so easy