IGNORED

89 VR Mix Screws

High Will, I did try to reply to your pm on this, not sure if you received it.

Anyways as I recall from your other post with the picture of the side view of your carbs, those tamper caps appeared to be off, the head of the crew seemed to be visible.

Let us know how it works out

High Will, I did try to reply to your pm on this, not sure if you received it.

Anyways as I recall from your other post with the picture of the side view of your carbs, those tamper caps appeared to be off, the head of the crew seemed to be visible.

Let us know how it works out

Thanks everyone!

My caps are off and I'm about to go see where they are set at.

I guess I'll just go with the 2.5 turns out.

Will

***SIGH***

In order to properly set your mixture screws, you need to use either a colortune plug or a CO sniffer. There is a reason the factory put those caps on over the adjusters. Just turning them out some arbitrary amount will most likely unbalance the mixture making the bike run less efficient and emit more pollutants into the atmosphere...

The short version for me:

Turn one pilot screw in till bottoms out

Note the turns it took

Note if the engine has slowed rpms/ if yes then assume that pilot circuit is working

I then turn that pilot out 1 & 1/4 turn/ wait 8 seconds rpm have picked up?

Then turn in 1/4 turn do rpm's slow?

If so then turn out 1/2 turn, rpm should pickup (again wait 8 seconds)

Now back in 1/8 turn looking for increasing rpm if it slowed then out 1/4 (8 seconds)

So after the initial setting to 1 &1/4 all you need do is tweak the pilot screw back and forth as mentioned till you have reach the highest rpm possible. This is in most cases around a 1/4 turn in or out of the initial set, and providing the jets are standard, and not partially clogged, such as slow gains can likely be a sign of restricted jet passage.

Do not adjust rpm set screw while setting pilot screws. I start between 800- 850 rpm, after all are done I adjust final rpm.

The final 1/4 turn after all have been set, is not mandatory it is simply a buffer nor must it be a 1/4 turn 1/8 might suit you. Whether you finish in or out on this final depends on what you prefer lean ish or rich ish

Keep in mind the pilot circuit is not a power circuit, it is idle and transition to power circuits. And yes it stays on all the way through so does contribute.