IGNORED

86 vr idle adjustment screw

Where is the "Idle Adjustment Screw" on a 86 VR located. If somebody has a good picture of where it is located, I would appreciate the opportunity to look at it. I have a Yamaha Service Manual; however, I think the author needs to take the pictures again. Most of the pictures in my manual are cloudy and dark. Really hard to tell anything using the pictures.

Anyway from what I have read on this website, the Idle Adjustment Screw is on the "left side of the bike as you are sitting on it. It is plastic and does not have a slot or is not designed to use a screwdriver. It must be turned by hand." Is this correct?

Does the Idle Screw face outward, towards the front or back of the bike, up, or down? Any help or instructions as to the location would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Allen

Dallas, Texas

Allen- I don't have any pics with me here at work but the idle screw is on the left side. Locate the sync screw. Then look behind the sync screw from an underneath position. The idle screw is pointing down and and is a thumb screw type and can be adjusted without any tools, just your fingers. Mine was brass colored if I remember correctly and has slight notches all around the outside for grip.

Good luck on your adjustment!!;)

Dave

does the adjustment "mess-up" the carb synchronization?

Allen

Dallas, Texas

Nope.....

Attached are a few pics of the idle screw to help locate it. I don't know why Yamaha hid it the way they did???

Edited by Condor

Nope.....

Attached are a few pics of the idle screw to help locate it. I don't know why Yamaha hid it the way they did???

I also have a same vintage Virago 535. The Virago has same idle screw mechanism & placement which works well on the little V twin but it is a admittedly a pain on the VR. I think Yamaha did that to have a smaller number of parts in the little bins at the dealership.

Interestingly enough, the carbs do look the same between the two bikes (except that there are only two) - I have to look into that.