IGNORED

Frame Swap

Guest Thainglo

Guest Thainglo

Just found this site, looking forward to lots of info as I delve into a new project.

Here's my first problem: need a frame with a clear title to swap into. The bike I bought was complete and came with a bill of sale. Georgia will only register vehicles with a bill of sale that are 1985 or older. Tough lesson to learn!

Going through the parts lists that are posted on this site, it looks like 1988-1993 all have the same part number. Can older frames be swapped into? I've read plenty to stay away from the 1983 frame due to potential failure on the center stand area.

Anyone have a frame gathering dust in the garage they want to get rid of?

Looking forward to learning lots more about these bikes!

Thanks for the help.

Guest Thainglo

Thom - up in Northwest Georgia in Silver Creek (just south of Rome). I'd like to talk to you more, please PM me with a number to reach you.

Thanks for the quick response!!

That's a shame. In Michigan you can pretty much get a title for the asking if the motorcycle is over six years old.

I've heard of companies that can get a title for you. Perfectly legal and have read a number of people who are happy with the service.

Broadway Title is one of them. http://localbusinessreview.com/Display.aspx?ProductIds=102476009&CategoryId=51465&onlineAdGroupID=577103934&onlineKeywordID=3624709887&IsValid=1&orig_clicked_from=Google&current_clicked_from=Google&clientIP=69.218.78.50&orig_cssID=0

Their price for a motorcycle is $200. Seems like a bargain compared to swapping a frame.......

Guest Thainglo

That's a great lead. Read through all the pricing, for some reason Georgia is one of the seven states they cannot issue titles in. Crap.

I know here in AL, you can put a storage lien on the bike..

Problem is it takes like 60-90 days before you can then close on it and apply for the title in your name.

Couple things...

1. The person you bought it from.. did they have a title and lost it? You can have them apply for a replacement title and then have them transfer it to you when it comes in.. Could take a week or so?

2. If they also didn't have the title was it stolen or something? lol WHY don't they have it? If they got it off a friend see if the friend can apply for replacement title and then transfer into your name.

3. if you have no idea you can search for the title owner (there are forms for this at the DMV i believe) then ask them to transfer it over. Have a lien on it forst incase they try and pull a fast one and try and get it back for nothing. Thats if it wasn't stolen of course..

I just used www.its-titles.com and for 160 bucks a bill of sale and proof of insurance I got a title, registration and plates for an 86 shadow in about 3 weeks. There may be the phone number on the web site but here it is 800-543-8626 some times its hard to get an answer and its busy a lot but when you get an answer you give the guy a mailing address and a week later you get the papers to fill out and price list.

Edited by cliffno350

I just used www.its-titles.com and for 160 bucks a bill of sale and proof of insurance I got a title, registration and plates for an 86 shadow in about 3 weeks. There may be the phone number on the web site but here it is 800-543-8626 some times its hard to get an answer and its busy a lot but when you get an answer you give the guy a mailing address and a week later you get the papers to fill out and price list.

Maybe instead of the guy from TX in the XJ chat it was the guy from NM in the Venture chat..........