IGNORED

Not much riding, Got Oil Leak ?

I have an oil leak, 4-6 running drips at about 40 mile or so when hot, that shows up on the left side of engine (sitting on bike). The oil is coming from front of engine and running out just behind that chrome bolt and large washer that kinda protrudes out from front middle,left side of engine. The mechanics say it is the O-ring seal that is between starter and engine ? It was replaced, and I checked, it was leaking before I got home from dealer(160 mile round trip). I first thought it was just some oil residue from the intial leaking. But it is not. Mechanic says can't get to it until next week. :bawling:I have been waiting on him now for 2 weeks.:fishin: He says that the seal is really hard to get to, and was possible that it got pinched when replacement was done. :confused24: 1..What do you all think it is? 2..Has anyone else had this problem? 3.. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help and ideas, 2 cents or what ever. Thankyou...........

James

Update on oil leak *** Took back to same dealer mechanic yesterday afternoon (Mon. August 25) . He said he would check it out again, early next morning.No word today-(Tues. August 26). I will probably call the mechanic tommorrow.

Update *** Mechanic called (Wed. August 27 ) problem solved I hope. Mechanic says that there was a bulliton out about this and he just now discovered it; the head bolt tourge on some of these bikes was improperly set from factory. So I had an oil leak from head gasket. Oil was coming from behind that head cover,when he took off, he said that it was very obvious. Hopefully get bike back this week. I called Yamaha's customer service and complained; Yamaha promised me $200.00 in merchandise set up at dealer. So I am happy again, as long as bike is fixed this time.

Another update; no bike yet. Still at dealers.(Monday,September 15 th , no word yet.)

**Finally got my bike back, Wed. Sept. 25, 2008. Problem fixed,head gasket replaced, back to riding again. Boone said that this was the first in 12 yrs that he had worked on this kinda problem with the 1300 engine. Ther was a bulletine put out from Yamaha on this 2007 yr model bike. The head bolts where not properly tightened. Well I am just glad to back to riding again.:cool10:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
update, update again,last update

I deal with things like this quite often at work. Typically when you get an oil leak where there is a O Ring involved it is either improper installation (get the mechanic to own up to this, Ha!) or the shaft that that the O Ring is surrounding is worn or rough, causing a tear in the surface of the O Ring. Had a similar problem on a Lincoln automatic transmission under warranty and told my wife the same thing and when the mechanic disassembled it, he found a worn shaft was causing the leak. I see the same thing in gearboxs that are leaking around the seal. Many times the shaft is worn and a new seal doesn't help. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...
I deal with things like this quite often at work. Typically when you get an oil leak where there is a O Ring involved it is either improper installation (get the mechanic to own up to this, Ha!) or the shaft that that the O Ring is surrounding is worn or rough, causing a tear in the surface of the O Ring. Had a similar problem on a Lincoln automatic transmission under warranty and told my wife the same thing and when the mechanic disassembled it, he found a worn shaft was causing the leak. I see the same thing in gearboxs that are leaking around the seal. Many times the shaft is worn and a new seal doesn't help. Good Luck.

Head gasket leaking Dragon. Hopefully get bike back soon. :cool10:Thanks for your reply. James:fishin::smile11: