IGNORED

Got her back, it was the fuel pump!

Guest Dandy1

Guest Dandy1

Got the RSV back home today. It was the fuel pump, he said it was the 3rd one in the last 2 weeks that they have changed. They say they are not sure if the 10% ethenal in our gas is maybe the cause. I talked one of my Harley buddies and he said there is a Harley service bulliten out on the use of ethenal in their bikes. They recommend not using it. He did say all three bikes they changed the fuel pumps on had about the same mileage. Mine has 19,000 on it. Anyway I'm glad to have it back! They synced/EGA the carbs, cleaned the K&N air filters and adjusted the steering head bearings while they had it and it runs really good. I hope I don't have to see the dealer again for awhile.

Ride Safe!

Got the RSV back home today. It was the fuel pump, he said it was the 3rd one in the last 2 weeks that they have changed. They say they are not sure if the 10% ethenal in our gas is maybe the cause. I talked one of my Harley buddies and he said there is a Harley service bulliten out on the use of ethenal in their bikes. They recommend not using it. He did say all three bikes they changed the fuel pumps on had about the same mileage. Mine has 19,000 on it. Anyway I'm glad to have it back! They synced/EGA the carbs, cleaned the K&N air filters and adjusted the steering head bearings while they had it and it runs really good. I hope I don't have to see the dealer again for awhile.

Ride Safe!

Good Deal. Glad they got you taken care of. I'm still not convinced on the Ethanol issue. My 03 has almost 47000 miles and has always burned Ethanol, cause here in IL you can hardly find a non ethanol station. I don't put much stock in what HD says for their bike either, because they recommend 93 octane also and ours is 87 so there has to be something different in the way the engines are configured. I would bet it is more likely a change in Yammaha fuel pump supplier that has caused the issue.

Anyway glad they got you fixed up. Looking forward to seeing you guys in ES!

Jay

I agree with roadkill and was thinking along the same lines as he is..

Ethenol...I dont agree that is the root cause of the defect either..I fill my tank twice a week at minimum..and every time use ethenol...use it in my car and truck everyday too.. it doesnt hurt the rubber seals or internal components of either one ..I use it in my lawn mower too..doesnt hurt the carberation effects on any vehicle that I use ethenol in on a daily basis..

My fuel pump had to be replaced last year after I returned from Ft. Collins..

aproximate miles at that time (guessing) was around 38k to 42k (I have 57K now)

And I also again agree with Roadkill in that it would more likely be the manufacturer of the fuel pump..(like...may be it was made in china ...:whistling:)..dont know that to be a fact but it could be or some place where cheaper internal parts are used..and less inspection performed.

Overall assembly cost of these bikes to Yamaha is key to survival in the market place competition...

They build them as cost efficiently as possible...that includes cheaper parts..and the cheaper the part, the fewer quality inspection points in the build process.

I know of not one "rebuild" or "remanufactured" fuel pumps for our bikes...

there is a difference between the two....

It is cheaper for Yamaha to purchase another "cheap" fuel pump to replace the bad one, then it is to pursue the market of a rebuild or remanufactured one..

just like electrical components... mass production, cheap to build just replace with new one when it goes bad....

Hey think of it this way... once the 5 yr warrenty expires on our bikes we can "purchase" the cheap parts ourselves from Yamaha to keep the bike going...

Or you can opt to trade in your old bike for a new one every 4.9 years and get another 5 year warrenty on a new one.......hell, all the accessories you purchase and installed on your old one will fit the new one every time....:whistling:

what an idea huh..?

Harley owners manual for my '07 says up to 10% ethanol is fine. Older bikes need seals replaced with materials that the ethanol will not destroy. There was a new report the other night that the ethanol mix is playing havoc on small engines on things like weed eaters, edgers etc. They only spoke about two cycle engines. No problems with my lawn equipment yet, but who knows. It is getting very hard to find a gas station that does not have labels that say "may contain up to 10% ethanol" on the pumps.

I agree with roadkill and was thinking along the same lines as he is..

Ethenol...I dont agree that is the root cause of the defect either..I fill my tank twice a week at minimum..and every time use ethenol...use it in my car and truck everyday too.. it doesnt hurt the rubber seals or internal components of either one ..I use it in my lawn mower too..doesnt hurt the carberation effects on any vehicle that I use ethenol in on a daily basis..

My fuel pump had to be replaced last year after I returned from Ft. Collins..

aproximate miles at that time (guessing) was around 38k to 42k (I have 57K now)

And I also again agree with Roadkill in that it would more likely be the manufacturer of the fuel pump..(like...may be it was made in china ...:whistling:)..dont know that to be a fact but it could be or some place where cheaper internal parts are used..and less inspection performed.

Overall assembly cost of these bikes to Yamaha is key to survival in the market place competition...

They build them as cost efficiently as possible...that includes cheaper parts..and the cheaper the part, the fewer quality inspection points in the build process.

I know of not one "rebuild" or "remanufactured" fuel pumps for our bikes...

there is a difference between the two....

It is cheaper for Yamaha to purchase another "cheap" fuel pump to replace the bad one, then it is to pursue the market of a rebuild or remanufactured one..

just like electrical components... mass production, cheap to build just replace with new one when it goes bad....

Hey think of it this way... once the 5 yr warrenty expires on our bikes we can "purchase" the cheap parts ourselves from Yamaha to keep the bike going...

Or you can opt to trade in your old bike for a new one every 4.9 years and get another 5 year warrenty on a new one.......hell, all the accessories you purchase and installed on your old one will fit the new one every time....:whistling:

what an idea huh..?

That is what we did, traded before warrenty was up, like 1.5 left on the 05.

Like this new color and the chrome forks :cool10: