IGNORED

Steering problem????

jachuck49

A friend of mine bought an '84 VR and had me take it out for a spin. It's a handful going around a corner or a curve.It wants to jerk rather abruptly when your riding down the road and hit a crown in the road or any wave pavement , like when they grind the pavement for resurfacing the highway.I'm not sure what to tell him. Any ideas? Thanks.

How are the tires? If they're flat on the bottom, or low on air pressure (same result -- flat on the bottom) then when you lean into a curve the bike does not have a round tire profile to roll over onto. Instead, it has to be forced off the bottom of the tire, over a corner in the rubber profile and onto the side of the tire. Is that what you are describing?

I think I remember that the tires looked fine...didn't check the pressure. Is there a way to check for a loose steering head? Would you put it on it's center stand and see if you could "pull" on the tire and see if there was any slop in it?

Get the front tire off the ground and then center the handle bars. Then push the handle bars to one side and let go, if it hits the stop and bounces back off the stop the steering head bearings are loose. That is how we test the 2nd Gens, I'm assuming it would be the same.

I had a problem the shimmy shimmy shake shake in the front. I repacked the steering head that was quite dry. Still had problems. Noticed the tire wasn't worn evenly. I had to look real closely to find it. I assume the dry steering head caused the uneven wear. I put a new tire on last week and now it ride perfectly.