IGNORED

Calling all computer guru's

star4772

I am changing from window's based PC to Apple Imac what are your comments, good or bad one's.

It's an Apple IMac Computer. 20" wide screen display. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. MAC OS X operating system. 4MB shared L2 cache. 1GB of 667MHZ DDR2 SDRAM supports up to 4GB. and more.

Joe

Guest tx2sturgis

Send it to me...I'll completely de-bug and test it fer ya...might take me...oh i dunno....7 to 10 years....then I'll send it back and I bet you will really enjoy it.

:D

Seriously....nice machine. I want a new mac too, but my old one is still workin good!

Send it to me...I'll completely de-bug and test it fer ya...might take me...oh i dunno....7 to 10 years....then I'll send it back and I bet you will really enjoy it.

Seriously....nice machine. I want a new mac too, but my old one is still workin good!

I'll pass I think I will play with it first, but thats good news though.

Thanks Joe

I am changing from window's based PC to Apple Imac what are your comments, good or bad one's.

It's an Apple IMac Computer. 20" wide screen display. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. MAC OS X operating system. 4MB shared L2 cache. 1GB of 667MHZ DDR2 SDRAM supports up to 4GB. and more.

Joe

It depends what you want to use it for , but if youre a gamer go with a PC , far better choice of games for windows OS. If youre going to buy this MAc to put xp OS on it.....why pay more for the mac hardware ? if youre going to run a pc use the cheaper pc hardware to do just as good a job for less.

Brian

Just as Brian said, I am the same way. They last, last, last. A MAC may be a bit high to begin with, but works out cheaper in the long run financially and cheaper in the short to long run mentally.

If you add Windows, you have two computers in one. You will find yourself using the Windows side less and less and less....

There are actually plenty of games that run on both platforms, even better on the MAC. Unreal Tournament 2004 and Warcraft III (both platforms on one disk) for examples.

Guess what platform Halo was to be be built for before MS bought them out? MAC!

I know Brian (Friesman1) works with MAC's for a living and sees their issues on a daily basis and in a networked environment but it is sure nice to come home and enjoy your MAC when you have been fixing Windows machines all day.

I installed a USB/Firewire card in my box not long ago, booted it and it was installed and working. No next, next, ok, ok, Finish and select ok to reboot your computer to complete the installation.

It depends what you want to use it for , but if youre a gamer go with a PC , far better choice of games for windows OS. If youre going to buy this MAc to put xp OS on it.....why pay more for the mac hardware ? if youre going to run a pc use the cheaper pc hardware to do just as good a job for less.

Just as good a job of what? Virus distribution? Malware execution? Standards corruption?

Thanks for all the input. I am not really a gamer so it looks like I might be very happy with a Imac. They say it will take a little getting use to but what else is new. Any electronics now a days takes a little to learn and get used to. :thumbsup:

Once u get a mac u never go back?

Joe

Greay Machine. To get most of mac os I'll suggest to add (Max) RAM Memory don't feel sorry this is going to be your first and last upgrade you ever have to do on your Mac. Here is link.

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch&model_id=-5899

If you really want to run Windows OS this is best software

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?Redir=1&description=VMware%2DFusion+for+Mac+OS%2DOperating+Systems&dpno=7288411&name=Fusion+for+Mac+OS&mfg=FUS%2DENG%2DM%2DCP

And best utility software for maintenance is

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?Redir=1&description=Alsoft%2DDiskWarrior+4%2E0%2DUtilities+Software&dpno=7147835&name=DiskWarrior+4%2E0&mfg=WDD105

Good Luck

Joe

If you're looking for something to surf the web, read email, and listen to music on, that will be a wonderful choice.

I suggested about the same machine to a buddy who didn't want to become a computer nerd, or waste huge sums of money on low quality but very pretty games, he just wanted to do the basics. He's still completely happy. His only problems have been basic conceptual ones that anybody new to computing would have. A minute explanation and the light bulb comes on and he's on his way. Even that's only happened a couple of times.

Go for it! Above all, do not install Windows on it. Nobody actually needs Windows, they just don't know it.

Guest tx2sturgis
Above all, do not install Windows on it. Nobody actually needs Windows, they just don't know it.

Agreed.

Letting Bill Gates have programs and files on your mac is a BAD idea. One of the most wonderful things about a MAC is its resistance to all the crap out there that infects windows machines...trojans, viruses, malware, spyware, etc etc...If you load up Windows on your MAC, then poof, you now have a machine that needs antivirus and antispyware programs, and the associated slowdown in performance that those programs cause. Not to mention upgrade fees if your using one of those that need them.

The ONLY thing I miss on my MAC, that was native in Windows, is Windows Movie Maker. There is nothing in the MAC world that is equivalent. Oh sure, iMovie, which is crap, or you can pay the big bucks for Final Cut...I just miss Windows Movie Maker cuz it is cheap and easy to use, and works great.

You will have a few days of getting familiar with the MAC OS...and maybe a few weeks of learning new things it will do, but you will figure it out...and probably like it as much as us MAC users do.

Congrats for making the switch.

:thumbsup:

Once u get a mac u never go back?

Joe

That can be very true! We have been packing because we are getting ready to sell our house and go into a new one that is larger. I have four Windows desktops, three never get turned on and one only gets turned on so I can remote into family computers in other states to fix their issues.

I have three MACS too. Dual 867 MDD G4 (main) with OSX 10.4, iMac 1.8 Intel processor with OSX 10.4 for the kitchen and a G3 533 iMac with OSX 10.3. The kids use the last one and I picked it up for $75 and it still works great, it is prolly 7 or 8 years old now. Yes, these boxes hold thier value far longer than a Windows PC.

Joe

Wow!!!:thumbsup:

Does that thing come with flames and a turbo charger?

I am a Network Engineer. That means I monitor and repair network gear including Window Servers. Sticke with the MAC. The OS is ten times better, user interface is easier to use and you won't miss the BSOD ( blue screen of death) and all the viruses etc that Windows desktops etc get. I deal with 900 Windows boxes daily and Bill Gates has provided me with a stable secure job because of al the issues we face on a daily basis trying to make it all play nicely. Besides I have a tremoundous amount of Apple stock and would like to see it continue to go up.

JB MCSE ASE A+ CCNA CCA ETC ETC ETC

THANKS FOR THE CAREER BILL GATES!!!!!

Have a great weekend all. :thumbsup:

Greay Machine. To get most of mac os I'll suggest to add (Max) RAM Memory don't feel sorry this is going to be your first and last upgrade you ever have to do on your Mac. Here is link.

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch&model_id=-5899

If you really want to run Windows OS this is best software

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?Redir=1&description=VMware%2DFusion+for+Mac+OS%2DOperating+Systems&dpno=7288411&name=Fusion+for+Mac+OS&mfg=FUS%2DENG%2DM%2DCP

And best utility software for maintenance is

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?Redir=1&description=Alsoft%2DDiskWarrior+4%2E0%2DUtilities+Software&dpno=7147835&name=DiskWarrior+4%2E0&mfg=WDD105

Good Luck

Hey starbog I bought 4gb of memory for 72.00 free shipping from omni tech. good deal A

Joe