IGNORED

Hard to move rear brake pedal

I have been having trouble with my Rear brake on my 83 venture. I had light brake pressure, but if I pump it up, it works fine for a while. So I rode the rest of last week with it that way because it was good weather. and It stops fine with just me on it.

Yesterday I was riding to get something at the store and the rear brake was dead, no stopping if I pressed it, OK.. I'll limp home... two stops on the way home I instinctively press the brake pedal even though there is no brake... It worked on the last one but then did not release. I had to shove my toe under it and pry it back up.

What could have caused the brake actuator to bind up like that? I have no leaks, no brake fluid on the pavement or on the bike. I'm going to disassemble the bike today to see further. the pedal it's self is loose, the linkage to the master is stiff moving in or out.

I have been having trouble with my Rear brake on my 83 venture. I had light brake pressure, but if I pump it up, it works fine for a while. So I rode the rest of last week with it that way because it was good weather. and It stops fine with just me on it.

Yesterday I was riding to get something at the store and the rear brake was dead, no stopping if I pressed it, OK.. I'll limp home... two stops on the way home I instinctively press the brake pedal even though there is no brake... It worked on the last one but then did not release. I had to shove my toe under it and pry it back up.

What could have caused the brake actuator to bind up like that? I have no leaks, no brake fluid on the pavement or on the bike. I'm going to disassemble the bike today to see further. the pedal it's self is loose, the linkage to the master is stiff moving in or out.

The brake pedal clamps onto a device that has a portion shaped like a cylinder that goes through the frame. There is no grease fitting and sometimes this cylinder and bushing gets rust in it and it takes more force than the return spring can exert. Taking spray penetrating oil and spraying the area and working the pedal up and down will eventually loosen it but it may take a day or two. You can also take the pedal linkage loose, remove the master cylinder and the return spring slide the apparatus out and clean and grease the area. Mine has been stuck like this 4 or 6 times over the years as my bike sits in the elements. I've often thought about removing and cutting some small groves and putting in a Zerk fitting but I never get around to it.

Dick